Community Forum

Why should changing Wi-fi pw be a 2+ hour ordeal (including 75 mins on phone)?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Why should changing Wi-fi pw be a 2+ hour ordeal (including 75 mins on phone)?

I had a horrendous customer service experience last night, with something that I had never done before (changed my pw).  At the end, I wished I had never changfed it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Should have stayed with my gut.

Anyway, got an offshore representative who tried to be very helpful, but the conversation was extremely difficult, not only due to the language barrier, but more so, because I, as a customer in need of expert guidance, did not have confidence in the person's knowledge. To me, that's the most important element in a tech support interaction.

Anyone know how I can voice this directly to Comcast? Seems they make it impossible to communicate "normally," it's either the forums, or knowledge based "assistant." Really lacking when you need a person to talk with. Thanks.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Why should changing Wi-fi pw be a 2+ hour ordeal (including 75 mins on phone)?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/view-change-wifi-password

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Why should changing Wi-fi pw be a 2+ hour ordeal (including 75 mins on phone)?

Nope, not it. Those instructions just give the basics. In my case I chose to change the pw in the Xfinity website. "Easy." Those instructions take you all the way to: "From here, you can change your WiFi network's name and password."

Which I got to on my own. They DON'T tell you what happens after that: got a message to the effect that it can take up to 45 minutes to work. So I waited, tried then, and it didn't work.

So that's when I called and got a 75 minute runaround for something that should have taken maybe 15. 

Now, the problem was "solved," sort of. The rep I got said we needed to merge my 2.5gig network with my 5gig network so there was only one. (My novice understanding was they were ok being separate and the signal would switch automatically.) The tech sounded like we had to merge, so I reluctantly (this was 50 minutes into the call) agreed. That was my second mistake.

Because guess what: now my booster/extender doesn't work. When I originally set it up, that was another two hour headache (including posting on the Netgear forum for help). But it was working fine until I got the brilliant idea to change my wifi pw.

But no, your answer didn't help at all, I had already gotten that far, to "From here, you can change your WiFi network's name and password." 

My real question is: how do I get a knowledgable person from Comcast to contact me?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

One of the options on that page is to do it on the router itself.  If you do that you shouldn't have to wait. (I have my own router so that's the only way I can do it and there is no waiting.)  Of course, once you change something like this, you need to change devices attached to the network and some guy at an ISP support line is unlikely to know about any devices you have.  I recommend while all this is fresh in your mind, you write it down or save it in a file for the next time you need it. 

Highlighted
Expert

@RVAJim wrote:

Ok sorry that it didn't help.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Just getting back seeing these replies now. Thanks for trying to help, but as often happens in email or chat interactions, as opposed to humans actually talking, we are sim ply talking past each other. I say "Wow, look at that blue sky" and you reply with "yes, this hamburger is TASTY!" Just not happening. Let me try again, and with an update:

1. My system was working FINE before I (stupidly) tried to change my Wi-Fi PW. The process as described on the website looks easy, maybe 3, 4 steps, then 30-45 minutes to complete internally. That did not happen. It didn’t work. So I called.
  2. The awful tech I got on the phone handled my call with cookie cutter logic, not listening to me. She eventually did manage to reset my PW – after 75 minutes! -- BUT…and this is huge, she also insisted that she combine my two separate networks, the 2.4g and the 5g, into one. I was reluctant but by that time in the call, she had worn me down, so I agreed.  
  3. So where previously all my devices showed “two” networks, say: “JimNetwork2.4” and “JimNetwork5.0” and would automatically switch back and forth per the signal, NOW my devices only show “JimNetwork.”
  4. Since then, I have not been able to connect my extender.
  5. One big difference is, BEFORE I did the pw reset, the WPS led on my modem stayed on constantly, indicating a good connection with my extender. This time, after doing the same exact steps to link my extender three times, THAT LED ON THE MODEM DOES NOT STAY ON. It blinks initially, as it should, but then it goes out.
  6. So this leads me to believe that the tech I talked to on the phone did “something” on her side which messed up my modem to where it can’t connect to the extender. I mean, what are the chances that it just happened to have a problem at the exact same time I called the tech? No, she did something which changed something in my modem, and I need that to be fixed.

(PS: it’s been mentioned here and on the Netgear help forum, that I should for example “log into my router.” Or do something with the router. To my novice knowledge, I don’t have a router, I only have the Xfinity modem and a Netgear extender. Or, is the term “router” being used synonymously with “modem?”)

Again, thanks for trying to help. Do you have any ideas based on the above? And moreover, do you know how I can possibly call and speak with a knowledgeable human at Xfinity?  Can I call directly into a supervisor? Thanks. again, I do appreciate the effort.

Highlighted
Expert

@RVAJim 

Have you tried going to the Netgear Support page and finding out if there are any solutions there?

https://www.netgear.com/support/

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Most Comcast devices combine a modem and router in a single package.  If you had a modem only, then it would be connected to a router via ethernet and you would log into that to do what they are saying.  (The (probably built-in) router is providing the wi-fi network that your extender is connecting to.)

So, yeah, I'd say log into the "Comcast box" and do what the netgear people tell you to do.  That's what I was trying to imply in the previous post – since you have a Netgear device, someone at their forum is much more likely to know what to do with it.  By the way, EG's page gave logging into the Comcast box as one of the options so you could have done all that without a phone call and having some guy somewhere talking you into merging the 5 and 2.4GHz bands - Which may or may not work with your extender - I think he wanted you to do that because it works with THEIR xFi Pods – but he probably knows no more about your Netgear extender than I do.

By the way, many people will recommend that you disable WPS due to a significant security flaw that has been known for years and never fixed.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Ok, good, thanks, knowledge and explanation for my luddite mind. Getting there, however:

"...so you could have done all that without a phone call and having some guy somewhere talking you into merging the 5 and 2.4GHz bands - Which may or may not work with your extender - I think he wanted you to do that because it works with THEIR xFi Pods – but he probably knows no more about your Netgear extender than I do."

The tech was a "she" but that doesn't matter, and my suspicion is you're right, the merge doesn't work with my extender. But your last part, about them (Comcast) knowing more about the Netgear than you? Hmm...really doubt it with this rep, she was awful.

But this really concerns me: "By the way, many people will recommend that you disable WPS due to a significant security flaw that has been known for years and never fixed." There's supposedly a way to link via Netgear's app, but that didn't work but I successfully connected with WPS (first, time, before all this trouble).

And I do have a thread going on Netgear's forum, not getting anywhere. This should be a simple fix but folks are suggesting all kinds of complicated things that I didn't have to do the first time I set it up.

But lastly: does anyone know how I can call and get a tech supervisor, after my disastrous call with a level one tech? (Comcast has a big center about 5 minutes from me, I may just walk in there and ask.) Thanks.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi @RVAJim, let me know if I missed anything in my understanding of the issue:

• Changing your SSID is typically an easy task but the system didn't seem to take the changes. 
    • Q: Did you try this on the xFi App or Internet.xfinity.com or did the agent do it for you? 
  • The tier 1 agent recommended you not split frequencies. Typically devices are intelligent enough to use the 5GHz when they are in range, and fall back to 2.4GHz when they are not.
  • This borked your Netgear extender.

Some additional questions for ya:

1. Is the gateway you're leasing the XB6 model? 
  2. Do you have the model number of your netgear extender? and where you posted your question in their forums? (in case you didn't notice, our forum and forum members are much cooler than theirs).

Things to note:

1. Combining SSID's and frequencies is usually something most devices can handle, your netgear extender sounds like it really couldn't handle it.
  2. WPS push button is not vulnerable, the PIN option is. The push button requires you to physically have access to it, it may or may not work, push button WPS is notoriously unreliable. 
  3. What might have helped is to use a paperclip and to press and hold the restart on the back of the router, and use the xFi app to re-setup your wifi, because the app will prompt you to enter your information then. There's something in the agent documentation that says to not press the big red button, but I haven't encountered issues testing it on my own device. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee on the Identity Product Team and the Serviceability team at HQ.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Hi RVAJim.

Actually, I said "probably knows no more about your Netgear extender than I do." (emphasis added)  So we're in agreement on this.