Community Forum

Why can't we purchase Comcast modem?

Frequent Visitor

Why can't we purchase Comcast modem?

We did the math on our first comcast modem. We paid something like $400 in rental fees, which is just insane when these can be purchased for less than half that.

Why are we not simply allowed to just purchase these routers/gateways once we have paid their value? This is a total sham. I really don't want to mess with buying a different modem and dealing with settings for everything (TV, streaming, PS4
Etc,). But after getting the upgraded modem about a year and a half ago and already paying $120 in rental fees something has to change.

How is comcast even allowed to charge rental fees of $400-500 over the lifespan of a device that's worth maybe $150?
Expert

Re: Why can't we purchase Comcast modem?

@ryanfreeman1976 wrote:
We did the math on our first comcast modem. We paid something like $400 in rental fees, which is just insane when these can be purchased for less than half that.

Why are we not simply allowed to just purchase these routers/gateways once we have paid their value? This is a total sham. I really don't want to mess with buying a different modem and dealing with settings for everything (TV, streaming, PS4
Etc,). But after getting the upgraded modem about a year and a half ago and already paying $120 in rental fees something has to change.

How is comcast even allowed to charge rental fees of $400-500 over the lifespan of a device that's worth maybe $150?

It's why many customers, myself included, choose to buy our own approved modems instead of renting them.  One time price that pays for itself in less than a year, no rental fees.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Yes
Gold Problem Solver

@ryanfreeman1976 wrote: ... I really don't want to mess with buying a different modem and dealing with settings for everything ...

That's the only option they give you if you want to avoid the rental fee. See https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/list-of-approved-cable-modems.