Community Forum

Why can’t I upgrade to Gigabit Service?

Frequent Visitor

Why can’t I upgrade to Gigabit Service?

I ordered an upgrade to my internet service for Gigabit speed after seeing an online promotion from my account. I currently have the 300Mbps plan. After placing the order, I received a call from a rep that says they cannot complete my order unless they send a technician and that it was “mandatory”. Of course my first instinct is that since I was advised the visit would cost $60 this appears to be nothing more than a cash grab.

I asked why exactly a tech needed to come out and the rep literally tried to use a false scare tactic. He stated to me that the speed was so fast that the tech had to check my cable lines because it could cause a fire. I call BS. I then told the rep that I wouldn’t be using their equipment because I currently have an Docsis 3.1 SB8200 which is capable of gigabit speed. So there doesn’t appear to be any equipment to install.

I truly believe that all Xfinity needs to do is upgrade my account, then provision my modem for the increased speed and nothing more, but they won’t because they are claiming a tech visit is “mandatory”. I read on another thread where a customer had the exact same issue, but finally got Xfinity to simply provision their modem for the gigabit speed. So my question is this legit or not? I’ve been a loyal customer for 10+ years and this just makes me want to leave if all they're trying to do is squeeze more money out of me unnecessarily.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Gigabit Service Upgrade

Here is a link to the posting in another thread where the customer finally got Xfinity to provision his modem for gigabit service without a tech visit:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Required-onsite-installation-for-1-gig-coax-service/...

So why can’t I?
Frequent Visitor

Here’s another example of a customer having the same issue I did, but they were able to resolve it. Can a Comcast rep please review and assist on this matter.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/Why-is-it-so-difficult-to-upgrade-my-internet-service/...
Valued Contributor

It depends on the drop line coming to your home. Many installations that are not recent would not have lines capable of the Gig speed. It would not cause a fire though, it just wouldn't work as intended. So some people are able to self install gig, but many most are not.