Community Forum

What's the deal with "kudos"

Contributor

What's the deal with "kudos"

It's kind of a trivial annoyance, but:  "Kudos" is singular.  It means, more or less, praise.  It just happens to end in s.  Greek plurals aren't formed the same way as English ones.  

Expert

Re: What's the deal with "kudos"

Would plural be "kudi"? "kudus"? 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Expert

@willie_mctell wrote:

It's kind of a trivial annoyance, but:  "Kudos" is singular.  It means, more or less, praise.  It just happens to end in s.  Greek plurals aren't formed the same way as English ones.  

Actually; "Kudo" is singular, and "Kudos' is plural.

It's easy to get confused here since Comcast personnel and Experts give 2 at a time. The rest of us Peons can only give one.  They give Kudos while we only give a Kudo.

Contributor

@MNtundraRETNope.  "Kudos" is singular.  It's a Greek word that just happens to end in S.  It's the opposite of the "data" thing.  Data is the plural of the Latin word "datum."  I realize that grammar and language evolve and languages adopt and modify words from other languages.  There is some difference of opinion among lexicographers.  The OED says, "Despite appearances, it is not a plural form. This means that there is no singular form kudo..."  The Merriam Webster site says, "...kudo does exist; it is simply one of the most recent words created by back-formation from another word misunderstood as a plural"  .Note the use of "misunderstood."  Even so, I find the use of "kudo" here annoying.  

wrote:

@willie_mctell wrote:

Actually; "Kudo" is singular, and "Kudos' is plural.

It's easy to get confused here since Comcast personnel and Experts give 2 at a time. The rest of us Peons can only give one.  They give Kudos while we only give a Kudo.