Community Forum

What is a local sports fee, and why am I paying it? Never asked for it.

New Poster

What is a local sports fee, and why am I paying it? Never asked for it.

Another fee that drives one crazy.  What a disaster this whole cable business is.

Valued Contributor

Re: What is a local sports fee, and why am I paying it? Never asked for it.

Regional Sports Network Fee
The Regional Sports Network Fee is an itemized charge that you will see on your bill. This is not a government-mandated or required fee and will increase from time to time. This fee is based upon the fees that regional sports networks charge us to carry their networks. We pay over and above this fee to meet our obligation to regional sports networks in order to carry their networks. Regional sports networks have begun to increase their charges regularly, and we have limited control over the amount or pace of these increases. As a result, the Regional Sports Network Fee is not included in our promotional pricing or pricing under your minimum-term agreement and can increase during your promotion or minimum-term. You will receive advance notice before an increase takes effect.

XFINITY Packages that subscribe to XFINITY Starter or above will be charged this fee. This may be in addition to any other local taxes your municipal may charge.

-TheTechGuy007

Gold Problem Solver

New Poster

Why should I pay for the sports fee when I DO NOT watch any sports at all?

Expert

wrote:

That matters not.  If you have sports channels in your cable tier you pay the Regional Sports fee.  To avoid paying this fee you can downgrade your cable tier to the very basic tier but you'll probably lose all the favorite channels you enjoy watching.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Seems like more deception to make the base package prices look lower while charging nonsensical fees to get more money out of customers. Regional sports fee, broadcast fee, additional outlet fee, HD fee, dvr fee, BS fee well they all are. Just another way to stick it to people.

Regular Contributor

@Again wrote:

wrote:

That matters not.  If you have sports channels in your cable tier you pay the Regional Sports fee.  To avoid paying this fee you can downgrade your cable tier to the very basic tier but you'll probably lose all the favorite channels you enjoy watching.

Or cancel the TV portion of your Comcast service and subscribe to the streaming services that meet your needs.