Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Was charged $60 for a visit to replace faulty comcast equipment

New Poster

Was charged $60 for a visit to replace faulty comcast equipment

Before I start, I apologize for any strong tones that might come off as snarky or blunt. We just recently switched to xfinity comcast and got basic internet for $35/mo just a few months ago. However, very early on we were having issues with internet connection immediately. We later found out that the router/modem that we rent from comcast was crapping out and turned out to be a lemon. We had a tech come out Mar 22 I believe (or sometime around there) and he replaced the faulty equipment comcast originally provided to us. Now everything works fine. The only problem is, I just recently saw an email notification I got from Comcast stating our new bill is $99! Looking at the bill, apparently they charged us $60 for the tech's visit to replace their own faulty equipment that they provide to us already at a rental fee each month. We were never notified by the person I talked to over the phone to schedule the visit, nor the tech when he visited that there would be any charge for repairing their own faulty equipment that we obviously expect to work given that we're paying for it in our bill. Now i'd hope this is some mistake in billing, otherwise this is a total backhand scam of an operation and I wouldn't recommend comcast to anyone given how shady this would be if so. I found another post (of many) with a similar issue that happened last year (see the following link below). This person basically had the same issue with where comcast was trying to make them pay $60 extra for their visit to come out and fix their own faulty equipment they provided to the customer. That said, one of the moderators did end up reimbursing the customer as they should. Its not our fault when comcast's equipment that we rent and expect to work, craps out. If I'm paying for internet service, I shouldn't have to pay 2 months worth of service extra to make sure its reliable. Again, I apologize for sounding so blunt, and hopefully this is just a fluke in billing, but if we don't get reimbursed, we will definitely be dropping comcast after our contract is up and I'll be sure to steer others another direction because that's rediculous. But again, hopefully we'll find out from one of the moderators on here that this is just a fluke.

Accepted Solutions
Expert

Re: Was charged $60 for a visit to replace faulty comcast equipment

The billing is based on how the tech closes the job. Sounds like he/she may have made an error. If the problem was a bad modem that you lease from Comcast, then that should not generate a service charge. 

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

"Keepin' it clean since '09"
I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator.

All Replies
Expert

The billing is based on how the tech closes the job. Sounds like he/she may have made an error. If the problem was a bad modem that you lease from Comcast, then that should not generate a service charge. 

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

"Keepin' it clean since '09"
I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator.
New Poster

Just a follow up, we did get the issue cleared up over the phone and the credit has been applied to the account. So that's good news. We'll keep an eye out for the credit in the upcoming bills.

Official Employee

doherty8, thank you for this update. If you need any further help going forward please reach out to us, we are always here to assist.