Community Forum

Waive early termination fee ( moving back to China for a year)

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Waive early termination fee ( moving back to China for a year)

My family and I just moved back to China for a year for temporary work assignment and found out there is no comcast service in Shanghai. We have to cancel the service for this year. On my contract there are still 8 month to go, and I was told to pay $80 to cancel the service. We have been a comcast loyal customer since we move to China in 2015 and intent to continue to use the service once we move back next year.

Can you help to waive this early termination fee? Usually we get this work-life-chaning event from services like insurance providers.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Waive early termination fee ( moving back to China for a year)

@cyl3392207 wrote:

My family and I just moved back to China for a year for temporary work assignment and found out there is no comcast service in Shanghai. We have to cancel the service for this year. On my contract there are still 8 month to go, and I was told to pay $80 to cancel the service. We have been a comcast loyal customer since we move to China in 2015 and intent to continue to use the service once we move back next year.

Can you help to waive this early termination fee? Usually we get this work-life-chaning event from services like insurance providers.

It is stated very clear in your contract that if you move to an area that Comcast doesn't service [in the United States only - and that includes moving out of the country] and you're still in a contract you will have to pay an early termination fee.  Failure to pay the fee will cause the account to be turned over to a collection agency and will impact your credit score as well as being able to start service again.

The only time the fee is waived is in the event of a death or if you're in the military and are being deployed overseas.  In the former instance a death certificate needs to be produced.  In the latter instance militay orders will need to be produced.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!