Community Forum

Used courtesy month , why?

Highlighted
New Poster

Used courtesy month , why?

Just checked my Data Usage , even it say " Don’t worry, you won’t be charged for any overages that occurred from March 13 through June 30." but it still used all my courtesy month. that is no different charged overage.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Used courtesy month , why?

The same thing happened to me.  I had 2 courtesy months on my account before the "crisis", and now I only have 1 courtesy month left.  And according to my data usage chart, I have NEVER gone above the 1TB limit on this account.  So they expanded our limit from 1TB to 1.2TB and took away a courtesy month at the same time.  And since I never went over the 1TB limit even with all of my zooming around and such, that technically means that I have LESS benefits than before.  Jeeze, thanks Xfinity.  Xfinity giveth, and Xfinity taketh away, I suppose.  😞

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi @Chungman and @ktejeda

We appreciate you both for using the Xfinity Forum to share your experience regarding your data usage. I'd like to review your accounts to see if I'm able to help explain what happened, and whether or not this could just be a reporting error. 

Can you please send me a private message with your first and last name, and the numbers associated with your address? To send a private message, click on "ComcastChe" and then click send a message.   

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

I see the same message (You have 1 courtesy month to exceed a 1229GB of usage without charge). It was two courtesy months before the no data cap from March 13 through June 30. I have never exceeded my data plan since implementation, so to lose a month is something I do not take lightly.

I typically utilize 500 GB per month on average (and always keep a record via screenshots). In April and June, I used 700 GB on average due to additional family staying during the Shelter in Place. Strangely, May shows I used 164 GB over the previous 1024 GB per month (1188 GB Total Monthly Usage). Hopefully, I can look at my router logs for that month to see if Comcast was accurate in the bandwidth meter.

But here is something I do not understand; if we were not supposed to be charged data as customers from 3/13-6/30, why then is Comcast going back and removing a courtesy month if you did use more than the previous cap of 1024 GB during the period? Comcast did not explain this would be how they would approach data used during the timeframe, and it does not look favorable for the corporation, with many still working from home. The way Comcast worded it made it appear as though data being free during the stated months - and yet I was always careful of not hogging bandwidth (which is why I am questioning my May usage until I check my router logs).

*Edit

Well, this is interesting, my router's Traffic Meter (which is usually in line with Comcast's) shows 552 GB total usage in June, Comcast shows 790 GB - that is a HUGE difference. It has never been that large of inconsistency; I have always found it to be reliable and in agreement with Comcast's meter. And this month (July) shows 59 GB used in my router's meter while Comcast shows 144 GB. Again, I have compared the two in the past, and it has never been that far apart in numbers/data usage.

It is not a big deal if my past is any indication (i.e., I will not go over the cap), but I am now heavily questioning that figure for May.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

They recently changed many details of the data plan. 

Under the new plan, you get 1.2TB/month (used to be 1TB) however, you get 1 courtesy month instead of 2.  Also, the maximum amount of overage charge for those who go over and don't have unlimited is $100 (used to be $200.) The standard unlimited data option has gone down in price from $50 to $30. (There is also a less expensive unlimited data plan that is bundled with a particular modem rental.)

Highlighted
Contributor

@strega7 Thank you for the polite explanation; without it, I would not know why it occurred. I always read my bills (Additional information section included) and online account notifications of changes and never saw anything regarding it. I see notations of anticipated power outages due to California wildfires and also that my primary TV Box and remote will be charged separately and no longer included in my package (sigh). However, not a single mention regarding this topic and a plan to change anything.

Even now, in my account, I see the following message:

Our Response to Coronavirus (COVID-19):
As part of Xfinity’s response to COVID-19, you won’t be charged for any data usage that occurred from March 13 through June 30. To bring you more value and support you going forward, we’re increasing the amount of data included in our internet data plans by 20%, to 1.2 TB. These changes will be effective July 1. Learn more here.

However, no matter how many times I click the "Learn more here" link, it asks me to sign-in (when I already am), and then loops. I tried Chrome, Firefox, IE, and Edge - none worked correctly. Had Comcast put it in terms as simply as you did, I would not have had to come to the forums with my question.

But it still does not make much sense. Comcast stops data caps during the lockdown but then removes a courtesy month as a result in the end - give, then take. I also find it odd that my data usage increased by 200 GB for two months and doubled in May when my habits were no different than before. Myself and the other member of my household both work from home and so our patterns/usage did not change as others did beyond May when the additional family member (one person) came for the SIP (no video conferencing). And they do not utilize the Internet or stream much at all. It is all rather curious. Had it been mentioned or expected, that would have been different. Surely Comcast must realize those of us who regularly visit our accounts and read our bills do not necessarily visit the forums as often or at all (if there was an official mention here of any kind).

Highlighted
Expert

@tinad23 

https://dataplan.xfinity.com/  Is that the link you're trying?

As far as the courtesy months go, think of it as Xfinity scrapping the previous policy and rolling out a brand new one.  The new one ups the data limit and gives one courtesy month.  The now old one had 1TB and two months courtesy.  So, starting new.  A new customer wouldn't know the difference.  It's just a different way of looking at it now.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!