Community Forum

Upgrading To Gigabit Internet, Need Fiber Optic Installed

New Poster

Upgrading To Gigabit Internet, Need Fiber Optic Installed

So reading around on the forums here, some people have had successful self install of gigabit internet. I have a Netgear C7800 Router/Modem with DOCSIS 3.1, this modem does support gigabit speeds. I talked with chat support and they will not have a tech out until the 18th, which to me is a bit crazy but I get it, techs are busy. I just want to verify that I am able to self install in my area and simply call back tonight and get everything setup and activated. The customer service chat agent kept telling me that gigabit fiber optic line needed to be installed, I know that DOCSIS 3.1 is running gigabit speeds over coax, so I just wanted clarification for my home and area.
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Upgrading To Gigabit Internet, Need Fiber Optic Installed

Hi @Pjvw1106

Sounds like your phone rep was a bit confused. Gig is indeed delivered over coax. In some areas, gig internet does require a professional install though. There is no reason you can't go ahead and self-install your modem. I don't know if they will move you to the gig tier tho w/o a tech visit. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
New Poster

Chat reps understandably are around to help complete transactions, I understand they are not always knowledgeable. Is this an issue I can phone in and get support from a Tier 2 rep to get everything rolling?
Expert

All you need to do is physically swap your new device for the old. Once your gateway is online (watch the lights), connect your computer and open a web browser. It will take you to an activation page. You'll want to have your account number and phone number associated with the account handy. If everything goes smoothly, the whole process should take about 5 -10 minutes. If you have issues, call.

1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278) or 1-800-XFINITY (1-800-934-6489)

New Poster

Oh yes, for clarification, I already have the new modem/router in place and working. That was a breeze to get installed and setup. I was talking about getting the gigabit speeds activated, I wasn't sure if it was easy to get ahold of someone on the phone to look at my surrounding area and can verify if I need a professional install to update hardware outside. Now I don't see why I would need to have a tech do a fiber install, we got a flyer a few months ago on our door and Comcast techs ran through all the backyards installing fiber(upgrading current hardware and lines to support gigabit speeds), and a new deep fiber node for my area.
New Poster

@Nerdburg So last night when I got home my modem rebooted and reactivated and now currently I am running the gigabit speeds. I proceeded to call Comcast and the first level rep said that the lines outside still needed to be checked if they needed to be upgraded. To me it doesn't make sense if I am making the speeds necessary, and I am at a strong signal strength. They offered to waive the installation fee, so if I tech comes out, it is what it is and they can double check everything.
Expert

Eh, if everything is working fine, there is no reason to have a tech visit. I wouldn't trust that they won't charge you an install fee. Glad you got it activated!