Community Forum

Updating firmware for my OWN cable modem was one of the top 3 worst experiences I've had in years!

Contributor

Updating firmware for my OWN cable modem was one of the top 3 worst experiences I've had in years!

I've been with Comcast for years hence my name MsCom-castVet but after today's foolishness my patience with Comcast is starting to run thin no joke!

So today all I wanted was to fix my connection issues which I knew had something to do with the firmware on my cable modem being outdated. Until today throughout the years it has been a breeze calling in and letting an agent know that my firmware needed to be updated NOT TODAY!!! I spent 2 hours wasted on trying to convince an agent and a supervisor that Comcast was the only one that was able to update the firmware on my device. I literally had to call the manufacturer on 3 way to confirm this until Comcast finally decided to call around to different departments to get the firmware updated on my device and I still don't know if it was done right because #1 I was told it will take 24 hours for it to update and #2 a confirmation number was never created because the supervisor talked to the department herself instead of me which I'm grateful because I didn't have to repeat myself yet but something deep down inside of me feels like I'm going to have to soon.

I just wish there was common knowledge about certain things amongst the employees to stop certain foolishness like this from happening. We pay Comcast too much money to have to go through this, I shouldn't have to call a manufacturer that I have never called before about this in-order for Comcast to want to finally find a solution or contact a department who handles stuff like this who by the way doesn't have a direct number so good luck finding an agent who knows what to do if this happens to you. If I hadn't called the manufacturer on 3 way Comcast was going to say "sorry it's not possible, you need to contact the manufacturer. Is there anything else we can assist you with?" how do I know because it happens all the time and it did happen today but NOT TODAY I wasn't having it!!!

There is way too many departments! What is going on? Half of them customers and employees can't even reach because #1 they don't have a direct number and #2 employees know nothing about them or their existence. I don't know what alleged fraudulent activities that Comcast got going on just to save face and say they have this many xxxxxxxxx employees but there is no need for all these different departments for something simple as being able to push a freaking button to update somebody's device or being able to identify a common simple problem this does not require level 2, 3, and etc. If the task is too hard for a simple tech to resolve then downgrade! Only have techs that are fully educated and have full access to all settings answering the phones! If you're that desperate for employees hire more field techs in every city and state that Comcast services to cut back on the wait time that is needed to send someone out to a customer's house because this current method has to go!!!!

Official Employee

Re: Updating firmware for my OWN cable modem was one of the top 3 worst experiences I've had in y...

MsCom-castVet, thanks for reaching out. Have you been able to upgrade the firmware since? 

Contributor

Re: Updating firmware for my OWN cable modem was one of the top 3 worst experiences I've had in y...

Official Employee

Hi MsCom-castVet, 

Using the email address you have registered with the forums, I was able to locate your account and attempt to push the firmware to your device. When you have a moment, please confirm if you have seen a change in the firmware on your end. Thanks. 

Contributor

Hi 

Official Employee

Thanks for verifying that info. I've attempted to push the firmware version 2.02.17 to your modem again about an hour ago. Can you please check to see if you see the update on your end? 

Contributor

Official Employee

Honestly MissDiagnostics, 

The only thing I did was pushed the firmware again. I don't do anything special. I just waited for about an hour and then had you try again. I'm happy we finally got it updated for you. If this happens again, please don't hesitate to reach to me or my team. We'd be more than happy to help however we can. 

Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

I'm having this same issue.  Tech support insists there's nothing they can do.  HELP!!

Regular Visitor

Having the same issue as well. Multiple techs insist Comcast cannot push firmware updates for owned modems. Help!!