Community Forum

Unauthorized funds taken from my bank account

Regular Visitor

Unauthorized funds taken from my bank account

So I got off work today and made it home around 5:45. I recieved a notice from my bank that comcast had taken $95.58 from my account. so I looked at my comcast account and sure enough a payment had been "made" on my account for that amount. I say "made" because I didn't authorize this payment. so I get on the chat with customer service and the rep tells me I called them today and made the payment. But I did not call them. I asked my wife if maybe she had called without me knowing and the answer was no. I asked the chat rep what phone number was used to call in to make this payment since I know they log calls and numbers. he told me that there was no record and that there was nothing he could do and if I needed further assistance to call the 800 number. so I call the 800 number and explain the issue and was told "well the system must have just had an issue and made the payment for me and that there was nuthing that can be done unless I call my bank (and pay $25) to stop the payment. A payment that I didn't authorize! so the phone rep says she looked at my account and that auto pay must have been turned on by the system and she would make sure it was off. I have had this account for more than 10 years and have NEVER turned on autopay. I also recieved an email time stamped 3:13 pm that says :

Your payment is confirmed
You're good to go! Your one-time payment of $95.58 is
scheduled to process on 4/26/2018.

Wait does it say one-time payment? I thought the autopay was turned on by the system?
but wait the website says
"When automatic payments are turned on, your full balance will be automatically charged on your bill due date."
today is not my bill due date so if this setting was magically changed this payment would have happened on a different date and I would have gotten an email saying that my settings had changed.

if it was a one-time payment I would have to authorize it right? I DID NOT AUTHORIZE A PAYMENT!

So I guess my question is:

is this comcast's new business model to take payments without permission and then lie and claim phantom calls were made or rogue computers are changing the autopay settings?
Expert

Re: Unauthorized funds taken from my bank account

Your issue has been escalated to the Comcast Team available to the Forums. A member of that team will reply to your post as quickly as they are able, so check back often.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Official Employee

Hi rtcolli,

Sorry for the delayed response. I'd be more than happy to review your account and investigate your billing concerns. To protect the privacy of your account, please send me a private message verifying your first and last name, street address including city state and zip code, and the full account number or phone number associated with your services.

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me.

Regular Visitor

Sorry for the delay I was out of town. I have sent you a private message. 

Official Employee

No worries rtcolli! I've replied to your private message with more information about our next steps. Please reply at your convenience.