Community Forum

Unauthorized Charges to My Account?

Frequent Visitor

Unauthorized Charges to My Account?

I noticed 3 prorated charges on my account of $13.something and immediately contacted Comcast Xfinity.  I was told it was equipment updates and added devices.  I queried this as NO devices were updated or added for over a year or more. Then I get told an audit showed I had a cloud dvr and HD euipment and my lineup was switched to HD channels of which I need to pay a fee.

I originally had HD channels back in maybe 2016 and after a few months or more received a letter stating this was in error and my service would be downgraded to SD, I had no problem with this but now someone decided to give them back to and ask a fee.

Where does Comcast Xfinity come up with these charges and at a flip of a switch, upgrade my devices and services then ask for money?

If they made an error back in 2016 with HD channels and was able to flip a switch then and revert me back to SD, then they can do the same now.

I received a letter back in 2016 to the mistake and the downgrade but 2018 they can do it without a letter, something smells bad here.

Expert

Re: Unauthorized Charges to My Account?

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Official Employee

Hello callmewayne. I can assist with researching your account for the HD Technology Fee. Please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can assist you. 

Frequent Visitor

Thanks Joe,

I sorted the issue out via Twitter.

Here is my problem/issue.

Like I mentioned, I was on my accounts page ready to pay my bill when I noticed 3 amounts of $13.XX for something and this is prorated amounts. My current bill looked to be "normal", but these prorated amounts got me angry.

Via Twitter, I was told my devices were upgraded to HD channels and therefor, a fee was charged for this.  A long back and forth ensued and I was told the only way to avoid the fees was to have my X1 device returned to store for an SD model.  Now here is my issue,  I did not upgrade my device.  I did not ask for HD channels which is why I refused to pay for something I never asked for. The strangest part is that when I signed up maybe 2 years ago, give or take, I was getting HD channels from the outset until Comcast Xfinity realised they had made a mistake and sent me a letter saying thry were dropping my HD to SD and if I wanted HD channels, I could apply for them and therefor pay for them, which I declined.  Now here is the crux of the matter, I never returned that box to the store and Comcast Xfinity downgraded my HD to SD at a flip of a switch, so I fail to understand why I had to return a box NOW to get the same results.  You flipped a switch once, you can do it again.

The rep said he/she was able to do something for me and I agreed to it and within seconds my HD channels were dropped to SD channels and the fee was waived, again at a flip of a switch and no device changes.

I am concerned that further unauthorized amounts etc might show up on my next bill.

Official Employee

Hi callmewayne. I understand your frustrations. I am glad our Twitter team was able to get this sorted out for you. If you would like a review of your bill to ensure there will nothing else showing up unexpectedly, Please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can access your account.