Community Forum

Unable to add Internet service?

New Poster

Unable to add Internet service?

I've been a Comcast customer for 20+ years but when I went to add Internet service to my account I was informed that I'd need to establish an entirely  new account because my existing service is at my primary residence in Seattle and the new service is at my apartment in Indianapolis. Apparently, the two "regions" of Comcast are unable to coordinate this process. As a result, I was informed that I would need to establish a new account (and provide my social security number). It seems like a large coproration like Comcast should have the resources to accomplish this so as not to make their customers jump through these hoops. 

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Unable to add Internet service?

It’s for your own protection to guard against someone else using your identity to open an account.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

I'd have to respectfully disagree with your statement. I am able to confirm any information that Comcast would like in order to verify that it's me requesting to add the service. The rep was quite clear that even if I provided that information he would not be able to assist me beacause he did not have access to my account information. He suggested that I actually open a new account, whcih really seemed unnecesarry to me. 

Expert

@Dsunstrom wrote:

I'd have to respectfully disagree with your statement. I am able to confirm any information that Comcast would like in order to verify that it's me requesting to add the service. The rep was quite clear that even if I provided that information he would not be able to assist me beacause he did not have access to my account information. He suggested that I actually open a new account, whcih really seemed unnecesarry to me. 

Because your homes are in two different states you will have to have two different accounts.  You're not adding service to your Seattle home; you're starting service to your Indianapolis home.  That also means that you will have separate billing for each account.

An account isn't just "tied" to a person, it's also tied to a residence, which is why you'll need two different accounts.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I see no reason that I, as an existing Comcast customer, cannot just add this service to my existing account and receive ONE bill for all services (regardless of location). The account need sto be tied to a customer, not a physical location. 

To ask me for my social security number to set up a new account should not be necessaery, The rep  should be able to look up my existing account and ask for the last four digits of my sociual security number (or the credit card number I use to pay the monthly bill) and take care of rest. 

Expert

@Dsunstrom wrote:

I see no reason that I, as an existing Comcast customer, cannot just add this service to my existing account and receive ONE bill for all services (regardless of location). The account need sto be tied to a customer, not a physical location. 

To ask me for my social security number to set up a new account should not be necessaery, The rep  should be able to look up my existing account and ask for the last four digits of my sociual security number (or the credit card number I use to pay the monthly bill) and take care of rest. 

Unfortunately it can't be done that way, and it's been explained to you why.  Two locations, two accounts, two different bills. 

Until recently you could link the accounts together, but Comcast stopped doing that for whatever reason.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Well, that's unfortunate!