Community Forum

Unable to access a thread that I was replying to

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Unable to access a thread that I was replying to

I posted a message to the forums last year, but I can't access the thread anymore:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-Archive/Comedy-Central-On-Demand-shows-cutoff/m-p/3202530#M505889

When I search for the keywords in the Streaming section of the forums I can find the link to it, but it shows up as 'Locked' and clicking the link sends me back to the Forums homepage.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Unable to access a thread that I was replying to

@gfinleyg wrote:

I posted a message to the forums last year, but I can't access the thread anymore:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-Archive/Comedy-Central-On-Demand-shows-cutoff/m-p/3202530#M505889

When I search for the keywords in the Streaming section of the forums I can find the link to it, but it shows up as 'Locked' and clicking the link sends me back to the Forums homepage.

The thread has been archived which means it's no longer accessible.  You'll need to start a new thread.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the quick response.

This isn't a very good policy though.  It would be better if the thread was viewable by posters on the thread.  I don't often look at my Comcast specific messages so I never saw the reply (replies?) to the original message.  Is it resolved? Not going to be fixed? Is there some solution to the original issue? I'm not going to know.  You're more likely to have people reposting threads to the forums because they can't find the answer if they can't even see archived threads.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

@gfinleyg wrote:

This isn't a very good policy though.  It would be better if the thread was viewable by posters on the thread.  I don't often look at my Comcast specific messages so I never saw the reply (replies?) to the original message.  Is it resolved? Not going to be fixed? Is there some solution to the original issue? I'm not going to know.  You're more likely to have people reposting threads to the forums because they can't find the answer if they can't even see archived threads.

If threads are opened and then go idle after a long period of inactivity, it appears the posters either got their answer somewhere else or just decided not to post any more.  Moderators probably see this and LOCK the threads due to inactivity or failure to receive responses to questions regarding the issue.  If you open a thread on an issue, you have to pursue it and not let it go idle if you want resolution.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Highlighted
Expert

@gfinleyg wrote:

I'm  not happy about the archive situation, either.  I can see archiving very old threads that haven't had any action in a long while or have been locked for a long time.  There was an ongoing active thread [although locked, we moved posts to it] that got archived because it was started in 2015, and it was pinned so people could read it.  Now, if we try to pin a new thread with the same topic it immediately gets archived, which is frustrating.  Part of the information that we were given is that archived threads [seemingly] contain outdated information and the purpose of the forums is to provide the most up-to-date information on issues affecting customers.  At any rate I agree that at least archived threads should be visible for reading even if not for replying.  I will bring this up at our next meeting, but can't promise that anything will change.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

You could always start a new thread, it’s possible the one you’re referring to had outdated information anyways

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!