Community Forum

Two issues - not "in home" for streaming and hotspot access

Frequent Visitor

Two issues - not "in home" for streaming and hotspot access

I've got two issues with my account that I'd like some assistance with.

1.  Several months ago, I replaced the rental modem/router with my own equipment.  I returned the rental gear, and registered the new modem per Comcast's instructions.  Everything worked fine with the XFinity Streaming app on my tablet (and using a web browser on my Mac) until a couple weeks ago, when all of the "In-Home" content said I wasn't connected to my home network.  My account info shows no serial number for the modem, so I understand that's probably why my devices show as "out of home" even when they are at home.

2.  When I replaced the rental gear, I lost access to the XFinity Wifi hotspots, even though my account should have access.  I'd like that access restored.

If someone from Comcast can ping me with a DM and let me know what info you need to fix these issues, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

Re: Two issues - not "in home" for streaming and hotspot access

Any word/news?

Frequent Visitor

Bump.  Would be nice to get an answer from Xfinity.  I don't want to call in and have you try to sell me more service, I'd be happy to just have the full service that I'm paying for.

Official Employee

Hello hendersj42, when your app or online streaming services say that you're not connected to your home network this means your device opted to connect to a local hot spot or you may need to provision your modem so that your devices read you're connected to your home network. If you subscribe to Xfinity internet then you have access to millions of hot spots around the country, if you cannot connect to the hot spots can you tell me if you get an error message while trying to connect? 

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply.

I believe my modem needs to be provisioned in order to recognize the home network - as I noted in my initial post, when I look at my account info, the modem serial number is missing.  This used to work, so something got messed up (I'm a networking professional, so do know how to tell when I'm connected to my own network as opposed to some other network - it fails even when wired into my local network).

When I try to connect to the XFinity Wifi hotspots, the message I get is:  "XFINITY WiFi is not available with your tier of service".  As with the other issue, this used to work (though it has been broken for longer).  My subscription includes a Digital TV cable package and one of the faster Internet tiers (I was recently notified that I was upgraded to 150 Mbps), and I understand that this service is supposed to be avaialble to anyone with > basic internet service (which I have).

Official Employee

hendersj42, I'll reprovision your modem. Please send me a private message with your full name and phone number for help with that. 

I'll also look into your hotspot issues. 

KenF

Frequent Visitor

Appreciate it, KenF - PM on its way.

Official Employee

Appreciate it, KenF - PM on its way.

Cool deal. 

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for helping get these issues resolved, Ken.  Appreciate it!

(After a few PMs, the modem was reprovisioned and the wifi hotspot access was restored).