Community Forum

Two customer owned modems for phone and 1gb INet... please help!

Regular Visitor

Two customer owned modems for phone and 1gb INet... please help!

I have been using one customer owned TM822G for both phone and Internet for a few years.  I just upgraded to a new package which included 1GB INet.  There is no commercially available single box that does 1Gb INet and phone.  The only one Comcast rents has wifi and is a router also... I do NOT want to rent and do NOT want a combo router/wifi/modem.  Before I upgraded my package I confirmed with the tech that I could use two modems and that the Motorola MB8600 was approved for 1Gb INet.  I see other posts here where people are successfully using the SAME two modems as I have, customer owned, for phone (TM822G) and INet (MB8600)... and they all have said they had to call 4-5 times to find the right person who could activate it... since the Comcast system has some problem with entering two customer owned devices.

So I paid my penance today with a two hour call (cut off twice) with rep and supervisor... who only kept saying the only modem that would work for my 1Gb and phone is the one Comcast will rent me, whcih is incorrect.  They had my new modem getting an IP address at one point, but for some reason I could not communicate on INet... and they said it was because their system would not allow the last step in activation because of two customer owned devices.  After banging my head for two hours and getting frustrated with people just reading off a card, I had them put the old modem CMAC back in and went back to my 260mb service on the TM822G for now.

Please... can someone from Comcast who knows how to get this working like everyone else has set up with my TM822G for phone and MB8600 for INet, please message me?  Or any other customer who has reached a tech who knows how to do it, please tell me how you got the or who it was?

Thank you!!!

Expert

Re: Two customer owned modems for phone and 1gb INet... please help!

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

@jtech1

I can help provision your modems correctly. Can you please verify your first and last name, full street address, and the phone number or account number associated with your services in a private message? 

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me. 

If I don't reply right away, I will reach out when I get back in the office. My working hours are Sunday-Thursday's 2:30-11 PM MST. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Many thanks to ComcastChe for helping me get this set up.  My new MB8600 is online and working.  I have great SNR around 40 on all channels... and my signal strength is right aroun -5 on all channels.  With no corrected or uncorrected errors at all.  BUT, I am still only getting around 600 mb down on xfinity speed test.  I get around 40mb up, so that looks good.  Any advice on why I am not seeing something closer to 1gb on download?  I am going to run test at different times of day to see if it makes any difference.

Official Employee

Hey jtech1, 

Sorry for my delayed reply. I was out of the office for the weekend when you were sending your last private messages. Thanks for updating your public thread so others are aware that our issue has been resolved. As for your speed issues, I was able to confirm you are not getting the correct speeds due to poor signal levels at your home. In order to correct that, I will need to have a tech out.

I am going to reply to your private message with schedule availability. Let me know what works best and I'll continue to follow up to make sure this gets corrected as well. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

@ComcastChe,

I solved my own problem.  I had been using an ASUS 66U router, and read that it was a bit of a bottleneck for 1Gb Inet service... so I picked up an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite today and swapped it in... and I am now seeing speed tests around 940 mb pretty consistently.  I think the router was my main bottleneck.

As for my levels... I think they are fine.  I had posted my numbers for receive levels and SNR and all are right in the middle of the good range with ZERO corrected or uncorrected packets.  Please tell me if I am missing something here or where you saw my numbers out of line.

Otherwise, please cancel the service call you set up for me... as I think everything is working perfectly right now.  Please confirm when it has been cancelled.

Thank you for all of your help!

Official Employee

Thanks for updating the public post. I'm happy you were able to get that figured out. After checking your levels again, I see they are all in the green. I've canceled your tech visit. If you do begin to experience any issues in the future, feel free to reach out to us.