Community Forum

Transfer "or" establish new service

Contributor

Transfer "or" establish new service

So, somewhat of an interesting question here.

Our former "roommate" started the service at our address.  To keep this as simple as possible, he no longer resides here and we are looking at what our options are as far as transferring services "or" potentially taking over the contract which he has relinquished.  We have all documentation necessary with regards to residence / etc.  The main thing I am trying to avoid is an interruption in service - I work from home and cannot afford to be without internet for any period of time.

What realistic options do I have here?  I would prefer no speculative possibilities.

Expert

Re: Transfer "or" establish new service

@Convice wrote:

So, somewhat of an interesting question here.

Our former "roommate" started the service at our address.  To keep this as simple as possible, he no longer resides here and we are looking at what our options are as far as transferring services "or" potentially taking over the contract which he has relinquished.  We have all documentation necessary with regards to residence / etc.  The main thing I am trying to avoid is an interruption in service - I work from home and cannot afford to be without internet for any period of time.

What realistic options do I have here?  I would prefer no speculative possibilities.

You cannot transfer the account to you or take over the contract that he has "relinquished" unless he is willing to go with you to your nearest office to transfer the account, unless he previously called Comcast and had you authorized to make changes on the account.  If any equipment is still there that is in his name it will need to be turned in as well and new equipment issued in your name.

I am not a Comcast employee.
I am a customer volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

I've been on the account since it was opened, so that should take care of that portion, yes?

Valued Contributor

Well, he would still be responsible for the account overall. You are just authorized to make changes to it. If he is ok with that, then carry on. Otherwise, as AGAIN stated, both of you need to go in to a service center with IDs to change over ownership of the account
Expert

@Convice wrote:

I've been on the account since it was opened, so that should take care of that portion, yes?

Being on the account may be different than being authorized to make changes to the account.
And, personally, if I were him, if I were no longer living in a household, I would not want my name in anyway associated with some account I had at that address.
Something else to consider is that if he cancels the account and pays off the bill and turns in the equipment, you would probably end up getting a new customer discount when signing up.

I am not a Comcast employee.
I am a customer volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!