Community Forum

The worst nightmare of dealing with technicians.

Frequent Visitor

The worst nightmare of dealing with technicians.

So overnight while I was asleep Monday the 1st or early morning Tuesday the second, my internet went out. I waited until that afternoon to give it a chance to come back, before resetting the modem and getting refresh signals sent, but it never came back on. Finally I spoke with a tech, they asked me to turn the modem on, and that's when we both realized that there was something definitely wrong since I had the power light on, US/DS light blinking, and no online light, but they could not actually see the modem as connected. The phone tech support agents until this point have been extremely pleasant and helpful at every turn, and actually have seemed frustrated by the actual technicians actions over the course of this story as much as I have. She gave me two options, and encouraged me to try both. Schedule a tech visit, the earliest would be Friday the 5th, and go to the nearest Xfinity store to pick up a new modem in case it's just the modem on the fritz. If the new modem fixes it, then we can just cancel the tech visit, and all will be good. Grab the new modem, that doesn't fix it, it's doing the same exact thing so I made a quick callback with Comcast just to confirm that the tech visit will be needed. And that was wonderful, because they had a new, sooner opening available, Wednesday the 3rd!
 Spent that night at home bored, and waited around all day for the tech to arrive. He got there, I took him to the modem, he plugged into the line and said 'hm, -10' and said it probably runs through the attic, so I showed him the entrance to the attic. He complained that he might have to get his ladder, and asked me to show him where the line from Comcast enters the house. Took him into the backyard, he plugged into the line there, and just went 'yeah that's a -15, you need a whole new line'. I asked when that could be done, he said he just scheduled a drop bury, and earlier would be the 15th, which I found unacceptable. He proceeded to call and schedule a drop bury for the 15th, and had them on speaker phone, and whoever it was seemed really confused because he was scheduling another service visit for today, the 7th. Until I read about what a drop bury was after my horrible experiences today, I didn't understand why the person he called was almost offended that he wasn't running a temp line, his response was always 'I don't run lines', and he left without anything done to actually get me back online, just an appointment for the 7th for a tech visit, and an appointment on the 15th for the drop bury.
 On Friday the 5th I got a call from my mom at home while I was at work that some guys were in the backyard messing with the lines, but sadly I couldn't get out of work for a few hours to go check my service. They asked her if she could check if service was back on, but she didn't know how, and asked them to check and they told her they didn't know how and left. I got a call telling me that my issue had been 'escalated' to level 2 techs and that it should be fixed. By the time I got there hours later, there was still no service to my modem, and I was left waiting for the next appointment. I've slept every night since at work, since at least there, I have internet service via AT&T. It may be slower, but it's better than nothing at all. I'd made a few calls in the meantime, to complain about the previous officially scheduled tech visit's lack of resolution or any idea of when anything would work again, and the fact that I hadn't been told I would be credited with anything for this extended lack of service, but for the most part I was just waiting until the tech visit on the 7th.

It was scheduled for sometime between 1 and 3pm today, and I left work 10 minutes early to make sure I'd be home at 1pm since the first tech was 10 minutes early. I waited until 3:01 when I finally got a call to my cell phone telling me 'Your Comcast tech has arrived, and will greet you shortly!' At the same time my mother had been watching out the front bay window of our house and started excitedly screaming that Comcast finally showed up! Not TriWave or whatever subcontractor, she was excited that this truck finally had Xfinity plastered on the side of it. I rushed to the front door, opened it, and we both stood waiting for almost 15 minutes. Surely this tech would be with us in just a few minutes, and we watched as he sat there until 3:15 on the dot inside of his truck, and drove away. I ran full speed to the end of my driveway, waving my arms, confused as he left our neighborhood, before returning to the house and calling customer support again.

The agent I spoke with was again very nice, but informed me that this technician had left notes that he'd called and knocked and no one responded. I watched him the entire time, and he never once stepped out of his truck, much less knocked on a door. I was told that this matter would need to be escalated to a higher level of support, and that I would be contacted within 2 hours to have a manager work out how Comcast would resolve this issue and get me back online again. She did also give a credit for the time I had been without internet, to make next month's bill a bit lower. I've spent three hours waiting on the phone call from a supervisor or manager, with this ticket number she told me to give them written down on a sheet of paper.

I got a bit upset and tweeted at the ComcastCares twitter to PLEASE help me figure out what's wrong and get my service restored, only for them to respond that 'we see you have an appointment scheduled for the 10th, let us know after then if it's not fixed'. I never scheduled something for the 10th. I scheduled something for the 5th, then the 3rd, then begrudgingly the 7th, and I don't know if I accept the 10th as a solution. Why can't you fix this on the 8th? What's to say your technician on the 10th wouldn't just show up, leave, and keep me without service? Why can't ANYONE tell me what's going on with my internet and just give me real steps toward restoring my service, and not just keep rescheduling me over and over? I'm at a loss here. You have a monopoly. I'm paying you $90 a month for my internet. I have no other options because AT&T delivers, according to your commercials, 10mbps per month. I saw that one over and over during watching the football games today. PLEASE help fix this because I feel now like the blame is going to get passed down and passed down over and over and I'll be paying for this service that is never going to be fixed.

Expert
Moved:

Re: The worst nightmare of dealing with technicians.

Frequent Visitor

The only thing unhelpful is the fact that you guys can't fix this!

Expert

@prophecyr Please do not continue to post the same information as you have posted here.  That is considered spamming and may cause you to lose your posting privilege.

This is primarily a customer-to-customer forum.  However, if you give it a chance an Official Employee will contact you in this thread in order to help you with this issue.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Tags (1)
Frequent Visitor

Then where do I turn after a week of no service and two appointments with technicians that refuse to run a temp line?!

Expert

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Frequent Visitor

As I said on Reddit, thank you nerdburg, and I'm sorry for our misunderstanding!

Official Employee

Hello prophecyr, I can assist you with getting your services restored and speeds back up to where they need to be. Can you please send me a private message with your full address, account number, and the name on the account by clicking my name (ComcastAmir) and then clicking "private message me"?