Community Forum

The support tech turned off my Perfomance and knocked my speeds down!

Contributor

The support tech turned off my Perfomance and knocked my speeds down!

Tonight I was having issues with my webcam dropping frames during a conference.  Frames were dropping from 30fps to 0.  I reset the modem using the pen in the hole trick and wasn't able to get back online so I called support.

The person was nice enough but he said I should not be getting 5mhz speed and told he me was resetting it, and he did.  Now I'm only getting 1.4Mhz speed.  He said that he knocked me down a tier because I was getting too much, and then laughed as I'm telling him, "You're looking at my account, do you see the 2.4 and the 5.0?  I'm paying for it!".  He said "oops" and then told me .. "oh yeah, wait, that's right" but he refused to revert it back!

I'm paying for the performance service but he knocked me down to performance starter service.

I am so very angry.

New Poster

Re: The support tech turned off my Perfomance and knocked my speeds down!

I feel you. Comcast customer service is pretty bad, i think training has a lot to do with it. Maybe even pay. It seems like he didnt understand your plan. That calls for a cancellation of services. Good luk!
Contributor

Two weeks later:  No Comcast employee has responded or has made any effort to assist.

Contributor

Still no response from Comcast, I'm assuming because I was forced to switch to Blast at a higher cost, to the benefit of corporate greed. 

I also stumpled on this a couple of times while trying to respond to whoever posted most recently. 

Untitled.jpg
Contributor

Not a very welcoming or helpful message.

Valued Contributor

The 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz that you mentioned are not your speeds. These are channels, created by your equipment. 5 Ghz helps as far as range and bandwith. It helps overcrowding issues when alot of people are connecting to the same network. You said the tech changed your speed from performance to perf starter, but also mention he took away your 5.0Ghz channel?

I am a little confused, because the equipment provides these channels, (alot of devices, especially older types, can not see/use the 5.0 Ghz to begin with) so I doubt he removed one of the channels on your equipment.

You just need to make sure that the correct boot file for whatever you current speed is, is loaded. (Each speed has it's own, usually restarting the equipment will fix this though) Also that they have the correct numbers for your equipment on file, then make sure your speed on your plan is what you believe it is. From there, it would be an on-site issue, or something you possibly changed.

I know this wasn't too helpful, just trying to clear up a couple things so you know what to ask for. If you go tell tech support that somebody removed one of the channels off your equipment, they are not going to know how to fix that. So at this point, are you able to see 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz? If not, did you try other devices?
Contributor

Again, since you didn't read the first time.  He DOWNGRADED my service.  He removed 5ghz and left me only with access to 2.4ghz.

I am AC compliant but this doesn't matter if the service is not accessible to me.  The DOWNGRADED SERVICE only gives access to 2.4mhz.

Contributor

I'm confused.  I thought the only difference between performance and performance starter is that one is a 12 month contract and one is no contract.  I THOUGHT the speeds were supposed to be the same.  NO?

Official Employee

Hello everyone! I'd love to clarify a few things and answer your questions!

Like JLDOOBLY had mentioned, they 2.4g and 5g networks are different channels provided by the router. The 2.4 is often times slower but is more reliable and you can connect to it from further away. On the other hand, your 5g network is like a highway, you can get much faster speeds but has a shorter range. If your router was broadcasting both networks prior to the call you still have both networks, but if they were changed to have the same name, your devices will only show 1 network. There is a very good chance your devices are connecting to the 2.4 networks, they have a hard time telling the difference if they have the same name. In which case you would suddenly be seeing slower speeds.

I advise using the xFi app to view your network settings and add a "2.4" and "5" to the end of each respective network. 

Let me know if that helps @Kayenet.

@garybar, Performance and Performance Starter do differ in speed and it varies depending on your location. Different locations can also have different tier names. If you need some more account specific information such as what speeds are available in your area or what plans are available to you, please feel free to send me a Private Message and I can take a look.