Community Forum

Terminate Account Immediately without Penalty

New Poster

Terminate Account Immediately without Penalty

To Whom It May Concern: 

I insist that you terminate my internet and television contract and user account without penalty. In the past 3 days, my “unrestricted secondary user” partner and I have contacted numerous Comcast employees attempting to terminate my contract without penalty and we have been stalled, lied to, and been given an astoundingly subpar level of customer service, which is why I am now contacting you via the Xfinity Help and Support Forums. 

I am entitled to termination without penalty because of statements in your legal agreement with me that pertain to my situation:

In the “Additional Information” of my billing statement dated March 27, 2018, several channels were deleted from my service tier effective May 10. 
"Effective May 10, 2018, the following channels will no longer be available on our Digital Economy TV service: Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, truTV and Food Network. These channels will be available on our Digital Starter service.”

According to the Comcast Agreement for Residential Services (attached), I may terminate my contract without penalty within 30 days if any material change negatively affects my services (and therefore, me). I have been attempting, since June 6, to terminate my contract before the time period of 30 days elapsing since the May 10th change. 
General Terms & Conditions > 4. Charges to Services: "If any material change negatively affects your Service(s), you have the right to cancel your Service(s). Your continued receipt of the Service(s) for more than 30 days after the change, however, will constitute your acceptance of the change."

This change of service is a material change and negatively affects my service and level of satisfaction. Food Network and Cartoon Network are, by far, my two most-watched channels and I no longer receive them. Deleting the channels from my service tier is literally a net negative to my service (I am minus 2 of my most-watched channels). 

Below are summaries of my previous attempts at contacting your company to terminate my contract before the 30 days’ change receipt:
1. June 6, 2018, between 3-4pm Eastern: talked to Wesley (G2D) on the phone. I attempted to terminate my contract without penalty and stated my reasoning as outlined below. He said that instead of terminating my contract, I could receive a higher service tier for $10/month, and it would be effective within 24 hours. I agreed to this change and expected my service tier to be upgraded as promised. 

2. June 8, 2018, around 7pm Eastern: talked to Marie (-U1) on the phone. When I noticed my service tier did not change, I called to find out why. Marie stated that Wesley's offer had expired and was no longer valid. How could it have expired within 24 hours of it being offered? I asked to escalate my problem and speak to a manager, but she refused by saying he was busy on the phone. I was told there was no more help. This is when I decided that I needed to speak to someone in person.

3. June 9, 2018, around 10am Eastern: talked to Aaron McLeod, Sr Sales Consultant, in person at the Comcast service center. He stated that he did not have the authority to terminate my contract. 

I have a legal right to terminate my contract according to your user agreement. Please terminate my internet and television contract immediately without penalty. 

My account information is as follows: (redacted)

I look forward to timely receipt of this email confirming my cancellation.
Expert

Re: Terminate Account Immediately without Penalty

@sasaburn wrote:

To Whom It May Concern: 

I insist that you terminate my internet and television contract and user account without penalty. In the past 3 days, my “unrestricted secondary user” partner and I have contacted numerous Comcast employees attempting to terminate my contract without penalty and we have been stalled, lied to, and been given an astoundingly subpar level of customer service, which is why I am now contacting you via the Xfinity Help and Support Forums. 

I am entitled to termination without penalty because of statements in your legal agreement with me that pertain to my situation:

In the “Additional Information” of my billing statement dated March 27, 2018, several channels were deleted from my service tier effective May 10. 
"Effective May 10, 2018, the following channels will no longer be available on our Digital Economy TV service: Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, truTV and Food Network. These channels will be available on our Digital Starter service.”

According to the Comcast Agreement for Residential Services (attached), I may terminate my contract without penalty within 30 days if any material change negatively affects my services (and therefore, me). I have been attempting, since June 6, to terminate my contract before the time period of 30 days elapsing since the May 10th change. 
General Terms & Conditions > 4. Charges to Services: "If any material change negatively affects your Service(s), you have the right to cancel your Service(s). Your continued receipt of the Service(s) for more than 30 days after the change, however, will constitute your acceptance of the change."

This change of service is a material change and negatively affects my service and level of satisfaction. Food Network and Cartoon Network are, by far, my two most-watched channels and I no longer receive them. Deleting the channels from my service tier is literally a net negative to my service (I am minus 2 of my most-watched channels). 

Below are summaries of my previous attempts at contacting your company to terminate my contract before the 30 days’ change receipt:
1. June 6, 2018, between 3-4pm Eastern: talked to Wesley (G2D) on the phone. I attempted to terminate my contract without penalty and stated my reasoning as outlined below. He said that instead of terminating my contract, I could receive a higher service tier for $10/month, and it would be effective within 24 hours. I agreed to this change and expected my service tier to be upgraded as promised. 

2. June 8, 2018, around 7pm Eastern: talked to Marie (-U1) on the phone. When I noticed my service tier did not change, I called to find out why. Marie stated that Wesley's offer had expired and was no longer valid. How could it have expired within 24 hours of it being offered? I asked to escalate my problem and speak to a manager, but she refused by saying he was busy on the phone. I was told there was no more help. This is when I decided that I needed to speak to someone in person.

3. June 9, 2018, around 10am Eastern: talked to Aaron McLeod, Sr Sales Consultant, in person at the Comcast service center. He stated that he did not have the authority to terminate my contract. 

I have a legal right to terminate my contract according to your user agreement. Please terminate my internet and television contract immediately without penalty. 

My account information is as follows: (redacted)

I look forward to timely receipt of this email confirming my cancellation.

From the Comcast Agreement for Residential Services

4. CHANGES TO SERVICES
Subject to applicable law, Comcast has the right to change our Service(s), Xfinity Equipment, rates and charges, at any time with or without notice to you. We also may rearrange, delete, add to, or otherwise change programming or features or offerings contained in the Service(s), including, but not limited to, content, functionality, hours of availability, equipment requirements, speed, and upstream and downstream rate limitations.

30 days refers to new customers, and your account is not less than 30 days old.

You would not be able to cancel your service without early termination fees, as they would be valid.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Gold Problem Solver

wrote: ... 30 days refers to new customers, and your account is not less than 30 days old. ...

The material change / right to cancel paragraph doesn't say "new customers", it says "30 days after the change".

... You would not be able to cancel your service without early termination fees, as they would be valid.

If that's correct, what purpose would the material change / right to cancel paragraph serve? It would be pointless, would it not?

Official Employee

Hi sasaburn, 

Please send me a private message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click private message me. In the body of this message please verify your first and last name, street address including city state and zip code, and the account number or phone number associated with your services. I'd like to review your account, notes, and agreement to see how we can be of assistance. However, if the charges are valid, we won't be able to provide any compensation.