Community Forum

TV options via Roku

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

TV options via Roku

I am a current internet customer and would like to add TV.  I see that it is possible to receive TV via the xfinity app on roku vs a traditional box.  I am confused by what options are available.

If I go on my account and try to add TV service, I can select a traditional TV plan with a DVR box.

From what I read, I can do this and then add a second TV via roku for free.

However, I've also read (in the stream app FAQ: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-stream-beta-app-faqs) saying that I can receive TV exclusively through roku without needing to use a xfinity box at all (thus saving a monthly fee).

Do I need to rent an Xfinity TV Box for the Xfinity Stream app to work on my Partner Device?
No. If you're a new customer, you can simply choose to use your Partner Device without renting an Xfinity TV Box from Comcast.

I've also read the exact opposite that this is not possible and one must have a box before they can use the app.

Can someone please clarify my options?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: TV options via Roku

@eng3 wrote:

I am a current internet customer and would like to add TV.  I see that it is possible to receive TV via the xfinity app on roku vs a traditional box.  I am confused by what options are available.

If I go on my account and try to add TV service, I can select a traditional TV plan with a DVR box.

From what I read, I can do this and then add a second TV via roku for free.

However, I've also read (in the stream app FAQ: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-stream-beta-app-faqs) saying that I can receive TV exclusively through roku without needing to use a xfinity box at all (thus saving a monthly fee).

Do I need to rent an Xfinity TV Box for the Xfinity Stream app to work on my Partner Device?
No. If you're a new customer, you can simply choose to use your Partner Device without renting an Xfinity TV Box from Comcast.

I've also read the exact opposite that this is not possible and one must have a box before they can use the app.

Can someone please clarify my options?

with your xfinity internet service you can order 'instant TV' service and use your own equipment like a Roku. without a set top box installed in the home you are currently limited to two streams at the same time. with a set top box in the home installed and working you can have 5 streams. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I dont see any "instant tv" option.  When I search for it, it forwards me to "Xfinity Flex".  When I look at a comparison between "X1" and "Flex", it shows that "Flex" does not provide live TV where "X1" does.  I can choose flex, but that won't give me what I want.  If I choose X1, it takes me to offers.  On the TV equipment selection, there is a "use your own device" statement which just forwards me to the stream app FAQ which says I can get service without a box and forwards me back to the xfinity site in a big circle.  I am unable to continue with the offer without selecting a box.

Highlighted
Expert

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread from a Comcast Official Employee.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi @eng3

We appreciate you asking your question here in the Xfinity Forum, we're happy to help! You can get Instant TV without the need for a cable box, but we first have to make sure the package you receive has the option to choose "cable card" equipment instead of a traditional set-top box. Because our online system may not have the option available for you to chose it, one of our agents will have to apply this for you. I can get that taken care of. Please send me a private message. To send me a private message, click on "ComcastChe" and then click send a message. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.