Community Forum

TV being hacked

Regular Visitor

TV being hacked

My TV system is being accessed outside my house.  Services have been ordered, movies have been rented, shows have been recorded and shows that were recorded by me have been deleted.  This is not happening within our house or on our own box.  We have had this happen since the beginning of January and it is ongoing.  I have changed my account password, put purchase pins on every tv in the house and still no improvement.  I am getting no help from Comcast other than they will credit my bill if I can get to them on the phone.  Comcast technicians have been to the house and simply recommended the purchase pins and new passwords which I did but it didn't stop.  

Anyone else currently experiencing this problem?

 

Expert

Re: TV being hacked


@Cricket52 wrote:

My TV system is being accessed outside my house.  Services have been ordered, movies have been rented, shows have been recorded and shows that were recorded by me have been deleted.  This is not happening within our house or on our own box.  We have had this happen since the beginning of January and it is ongoing.  I have changed my account password, put purchase pins on every tv in the house and still no improvement.  I am getting no help from Comcast other than they will credit my bill if I can get to them on the phone.  Comcast technicians have been to the house and simply recommended the purchase pins and new passwords which I did but it didn't stop.  

Anyone else currently experiencing this problem? 


unless  TiVo is on your account (the channel card) there is no way to record except using an X1 device. go to the place the cable comes into the home and look for a barrel looking device (POE filter). you can search google for POE filter to see images (after search press the image choice). if you don't find one, call 800-Comcast and ask for a tech to install the POE filter. Once that is installed your in-home communication signal will be isolated and unavailable for anyone else to connect to your service.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: TV being hacked

cable filter.jpgI take it this is the filter.

Expert

Re: TV being hacked


@Cricket52 wrote:

 


are all the connectors on that amp going to points in your home? is it an apartment/duplex/etc?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: TV being hacked

It is a house and yes, to rooms in the house

Expert

Re: TV being hacked


@Cricket52 wrote:

It is a house and yes, to rooms in the house


someone in the house using a set top box is the only way a recording could be set. have you gone into the my account app, the TV tab and checked the serial number of each set top box to what is listed there?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: TV being hacked

I went around and identified all the boxes on my account.  I did find one more box on an active TV that is not listed on my account.  We have always had that TV working.  I'm thinking when we were upgraded to fiber, that box was just overlooked on our account.  Otherwise, they match up.  Any other ideas?

Regular Visitor

Re: TV being hacked

After finding all the boxes on the account, plus one more, it makes me ask if it is possible to identify which box was used to buy movies or rent movies?  Is there a way for Comcast or me to do that? Comcast wants to take out all the boxes, discontinue my account, open up a new account with new boxes, passwords, etc.  I'd like to avoid that since our system is so complicated.  They also only want me to change and limit my email accounts.  Thoughts?

Expert

Re: TV being hacked

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread from a Comcast Official Employee.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: TV being hacked

Thanks for your attempt to help.  I have others helping me as well.  

Official Employee

Re: TV being hacked

Hi Cricket52. I can assist in reviewing any of the purchases and rentals by identifying which box ordered each program. It sounds like you have already spoken with our Comcast Customer Security Assurance department, since you have been advised to replace all your equipment and restart your account, after having taken all of the measures you say you did. If I can help any further, please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can access your account.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: TV being hacked

This is NOT an isolated case.  I have the X1 premiere package.  My TV was hacked and pornographic movies were ordered AND recorded without anyone ordering or recording them.   No one, to date, can explain why this was possible.   Safety measures were placed on my account including having any OnDemand shows/movies to require a call to the Customer Service Dept.   How can expand my service to Home Security if xfinity can't secure the television service?

 

 

Expert

Re: TV being hacked


@mariaboatright wrote:

This is NOT an isolated case.  I have the X1 premiere package.  My TV was hacked and pornographic movies were ordered AND recorded without anyone ordering or recording them.   No one, to date, can explain why this was possible.   Safety measures were placed on my account including having any OnDemand shows/movies to require a call to the Customer Service Dept.   How can expand my service to Home Security if xfinity can't secure the television service? 


if you are in an apartment or condo it might be possible that you are missing a "POE" filter at the connection to your home which would allow others without a POE also, to be seen by your equipment as part of your own equipment. a field tech could check that for you.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: TV being hacked

just an update on my account, I no longer get any movie purchases from an outside source, I think because I put blocks on charges without a password and changed all my passwords.  But there is recording of tv shows on the dvr on an ongoing basis.  I chuckle because I erase or cancel them as I find them but then the other day, one of mine got erased or cancelled too.  So we may have a battle of control going on.  I am in a house so no apartments involved and I can tell by the types of shows being recorded, it's not anyone in my neighborhood.  There is only my husband and me in the house so no one else to do it.  I don't know how someone from outside could access my account to record because I'm not able to order the dvr to record shows from an app.  Could someone else set up their account at their house under my account info?  It's a mystery that continues. 

New Poster

Re: TV being hacked

Nope single family home

New Poster

Re: TV being hacked

EXACTLY was is happening to me.   No one can provide an answer, to date.  

New Poster

Re: TV being hacked

This just happened to me!  I noticed multiple unauthorized charges on my account.  There is NO way anyone in my house made these purchases - since it's just me.  Comcast agreed to credit charges but they only recommended that I set up a purchase pin, which I plan on doing.  My bigger concern is how someone is able to access my cable and order new channels and buy movies and wrestling matches without being in my house, when Comcast is telling me that it is NOT possible.  

 

Comcast has to figure out a better response than "it is not possible."  This is amateur hour.  

 

Has anyone else experienced this? 

Expert

Re: TV being hacked


@draculinx wrote:

This just happened to me!  I noticed multiple unauthorized charges on my account.  There is NO way anyone in my house made these purchases - since it's just me.  Comcast agreed to credit charges but they only recommended that I set up a purchase pin, which I plan on doing.  My bigger concern is how someone is able to access my cable and order new channels and buy movies and wrestling matches without being in my house, when Comcast is telling me that it is NOT possible.  

 

Comcast has to figure out a better response than "it is not possible."  This is amateur hour.  

 

Has anyone else experienced this? 


your equipment (and ability to purchase) is isolated from your neighbors because you have a POE (point of entry) filter where the cable connects to your own home wiring. would you like an official employee on the forum to call for a tech to verify your POE is indeed installed? (normally only affects condo/apartment)



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: TV being hacked

Hello, draculinx. Welcome to the Xfinity Forums. 

Are you still experiencing issues with unauthorized purchases? If so, I'd be more than happy to look over your account with you and figure out where they are coming from so we can prevent them in the future.

Please send me a Private Message with your first and last name so I can assist. 

 

To send a private message, click my name "ComcastTambrey", then click "send a message".


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!