Community Forum

TV being hacked

Regular Visitor

TV being hacked

My TV system is being accessed outside my house.  Services have been ordered, movies have been rented, shows have been recorded and shows that were recorded by me have been deleted.  This is not happening within our house or on our own box.  We have had this happen since the beginning of January and it is ongoing.  I have changed my account password, put purchase pins on every tv in the house and still no improvement.  I am getting no help from Comcast other than they will credit my bill if I can get to them on the phone.  Comcast technicians have been to the house and simply recommended the purchase pins and new passwords which I did but it didn't stop.  

Anyone else currently experiencing this problem?

Expert

Re: TV being hacked

@Cricket52 wrote:

My TV system is being accessed outside my house.  Services have been ordered, movies have been rented, shows have been recorded and shows that were recorded by me have been deleted.  This is not happening within our house or on our own box.  We have had this happen since the beginning of January and it is ongoing.  I have changed my account password, put purchase pins on every tv in the house and still no improvement.  I am getting no help from Comcast other than they will credit my bill if I can get to them on the phone.  Comcast technicians have been to the house and simply recommended the purchase pins and new passwords which I did but it didn't stop.  

Anyone else currently experiencing this problem? 

unless  TiVo is on your account (the channel card) there is no way to record except using an X1 device. go to the place the cable comes into the home and look for a barrel looking device (POE filter). you can search google for POE filter to see images (after search press the image choice). if you don't find one, call 800-Comcast and ask for a tech to install the POE filter. Once that is installed your in-home communication signal will be isolated and unavailable for anyone else to connect to your service.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

cable filter.jpgI take it this is the filter.

Expert

@Cricket52 wrote:

are all the connectors on that amp going to points in your home? is it an apartment/duplex/etc?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Regular Visitor

It is a house and yes, to rooms in the house

Expert

@Cricket52 wrote:

It is a house and yes, to rooms in the house

someone in the house using a set top box is the only way a recording could be set. have you gone into the my account app, the TV tab and checked the serial number of each set top box to what is listed there?

Regular Visitor

I went around and identified all the boxes on my account.  I did find one more box on an active TV that is not listed on my account.  We have always had that TV working.  I'm thinking when we were upgraded to fiber, that box was just overlooked on our account.  Otherwise, they match up.  Any other ideas?

Regular Visitor

After finding all the boxes on the account, plus one more, it makes me ask if it is possible to identify which box was used to buy movies or rent movies?  Is there a way for Comcast or me to do that? Comcast wants to take out all the boxes, discontinue my account, open up a new account with new boxes, passwords, etc.  I'd like to avoid that since our system is so complicated.  They also only want me to change and limit my email accounts.  Thoughts?

Expert

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread from a Comcast Official Employee.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for your attempt to help.  I have others helping me as well.  

Official Employee

Hi Cricket52. I can assist in reviewing any of the purchases and rentals by identifying which box ordered each program. It sounds like you have already spoken with our Comcast Customer Security Assurance department, since you have been advised to replace all your equipment and restart your account, after having taken all of the measures you say you did. If I can help any further, please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can access your account.