Community Forum

Still not getting what I am paying for.. 3 years this has been going on!

Contributor

Still not getting what I am paying for.. 3 years this has been going on!

I'm paying for download speeds of 180mbps and upload speeds of 10mbps.  For the last 3 years I have not been able to reach these speeds.  I have made call after call after call and it has still not been resolved. 

I just upgraded the wire that goes from the back of my computer to the modem, to a Cat6.  I just replaced the modem.. again for the 4th time in 3 years.  I have had service people come to my apartment, one of which had the nerve to try and charge me $70 for doing NOTHING but trying to get a date with me.

I have been a Comcast customer since 1990.  I have NEVER in my 30 years of using this service have encountered such RUDE CS support, one of which had the nerve to tell me I should be thankful that I have internet at all.   Another one reminding me condescendingly that I have a discount rate which I happen to know is no different than any other Comcast customer is getting.

The most recent slap in the face I got was an 0.83 cent credit to my account for my troubles.

I have made it clear, I live in a very small agricultural town where there are NO employment opportunities.  I'm taking charge of my life by taking the initiative to create my own emplyment which means remote work that requires a stable and reliable internet connection.

If you can't provide me with the services that I have been paying for, for the last 3 years ( for your records, the last time I moved) then you need to either bump my service to make sure I DO get what I am paying for and UNTIL I get what I am paying for.  I also expect my bill to be credited in full because when I can't work it means that I can't pay my Comcast bill let alone rent!

Escalate this and fix it!!

comcast1.jpg
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Still not getting what I am paying for.. 3 years this has been going on!

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Xfinity-Internet-Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/m-p...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

None of these options provided a viable solution.  Another tech came out, rewired my apartment needlessly and the issue remains.  I'm thankful that Comcast continues to attempt to remedy the problem but am also resentful for the lack of communication between departments which has caused hours of frustration as I must retell the history of the issues over and over and over again.. and not all Comcast reps are polite or as open to helping me through this struggle.

After running a number of tests with battleforthenet and Proton VPN I'm not at all convinced that it's an issue with any component or line in, around or near my apartment or community.  Either I'm being throttled or there is mass interference from an external source that Comcast needs to identify.  I'm NOT accusing anybody of doing anything they shouldn't be doing but I am suggesting that we've been looking in all of the wrong places.

I called again last night.  The tech ran a modem health check and can see the new modem is running just fine.  She could also see the drops and ranges in speeds which ranged anywhere between 56 to 185 download and 2.4 to 12.1 upload. 

I'm not saying I can't connect or that I can't watch videos or play online games because I can.  I can deal with the lags and the wheels of death in my off hours but what I can't deal with is logging in for work and not being able to do my job.  My internet is not just a luxury that keeps my mind active, it's also being used as my main source of income.  When I can't work it means I can't pay rent, can't pay utilities and can't pay my Comcast bill.  I understand that I am only ONE customer out of millions and this makes me insignificant to you and perhaps even disposable.  I hope you also understand that this has become a major life event for me.  It affects every aspect of my life, my well being and my ability to provide for myself.

Right now I'm suffering.

Expert

@Kayenet wrote:

<snip>

After running a number of tests with battleforthenet and Proton VPN I'm not at all convinced that it's an issue with any component or line in, around or near my apartment or community.  Either I'm being throttled or there is mass interference from an external source that Comcast needs to identify.  I'm NOT accusing anybody of doing anything they shouldn't be doing but I am suggesting that we've been looking in all of the wrong places.

<snip>

What kind of results do you get when you don't have battleforthenet or Proton VPN running?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

The service I pay for should provide speeds averaging 150mbps up and 10mbps down.  I understand that no test will be 100% accurate.  Cogent is out of DC but I am unsure where their servers are.  There is apparently a long standing contovercial relationship between Comcast and Cogent.   I've edited this reply more times than I care to admit because I know it's a slippery slope, however, as the end consumer in this bitter deal my quality of life is being affected.

Here is an interesting forum thread I found on dsl reports:  https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31868626-Speed-Experiencing-site-slowdowns-Comcast-and-Cogent-are-...

The more I learn the more I am convinced of my original impression which is it's not the lines in or around my apartment and community.  I'm being throttled.

test1.jpg
Contributor

I'm just going to leave these here because for every three times I call for tech support or ask for adjustments to my bill as a result of this, I'm being treated as if I'm the problem.  Meanwhile I'm still sitting here waiting for the speeds that are required to work remotely.

These tests were run within a 5 minute period of each other.  It's showing how erratic my speeds are.  I really hope that no one at Comcast ever speaks down to me again, speaks to me in an accusitory manner again or offers any resistence when I say that I am having technical issues.

test4.jpg

test2.jpg
test3.jpg
Contributor

I will also say that while I do use my internet quite heavily I have never exceeded my data limits and have only used it within my contractual agreement with Comcast.   But even if I did go over my data limits this month in little black letters under the monthly usage graph is the following sentence, "You have 2 courtesy months to exceed a 1024GB of usage without charge."

Untitled.jpg

Official Employee

Greetings! I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us here on the forums. I apologize to hear of the issues you are running into with the internet connection not being stable. That's certainly frustrating. I certainly understand relying on a reliable connection when it comes to work. I would like to take a look into the connection and see if there is anything I would be able to spot that could be causing the issue. Can you please send me a PM with your first and last name so I may further assist you?

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMichael" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!