Community Forum

Spam Phone Calls

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Spam Phone Calls

I am receiving at least 10 spam calls a day.  They are 9 digit numbers so that Nomorobo does not screen them.  They begin at 8 AM each day and go as late as 9:30 PM. I have talked to customer service and they tell me that my only option is to change my number.  I don't want to do that because my number is on the contact file for all my families critical contacts (doctors, pharmacies, etc.). I have now unplugged my phone so I am only using it as a voice messaging service because I cannot stand all the daily interruptions.  Can anyone please help?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Spam Phone Calls

Rather than unplugging, see if you can just turn the ringer off.  I turned my ringer off about 40 years ago.  In the years since, I think telemarketers have only left about 10 messages, so just glancing over and seeing the message indicator light is a pretty reliable indication that you have a message that is actually useful.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thanks, I have done that in the past also, but it's frustrating that you can't use a phone the way that it should be used due to these issues.

Highlighted
Expert

@Chaos31 wrote:

I am receiving at least 10 spam calls a day.  They are 9 digit numbers so that Nomorobo does not screen them.  They begin at 8 AM each day and go as late as 9:30 PM. I have talked to customer service and they tell me that my only option is to change my number.  I don't want to do that because my number is on the contact file for all my families critical contacts (doctors, pharmacies, etc.). I have now unplugged my phone so I am only using it as a voice messaging service because I cannot stand all the daily interruptions.  Can anyone please help?

If this is a cell phone download a call blocker that will screen for spam and that will allow you to block these numbers from ringing. 

I had one yesterday that had been calling periodically so I set it up to go to voicemail.  Turns out it was a telemarketer so I blocked them AND reported them.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

No this is a home land line.  The only option is Nomorobo which is supplied by Comcast, but does not work for these type of calls or neighbor spoofing calls.

Highlighted
Expert

@Chaos31 wrote:

No this is a home land line.  The only option is Nomorobo which is supplied by Comcast, but does not work for these type of calls or neighbor spoofing calls.

I found this information via Google regarding Nomorobo and landlines:

Nomorobo does not work with copper-based phone lines

I don't know if that pertains to you or not, but it sounds like it might.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the info, but that is not the issue.  The problem is that Nomorobo is limited with the calls that it can block.  The calls that I am receiving are being logged as only 9 digits The other calls that Nomorobo can't block are the neighbor spoof calls that are not really originating from the displayed number.  Between these two type of calls, I am getting over 20 calls/day. Really out of control and frustrating

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

@Chaos31 wrote: ... The calls that I am receiving are being logged as only 9 digits ...

Does https://nomorobo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000437746-How-do-I-report-an-Invalid-Robocall- help?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thanks, but I currently report each call in the manner indicated which is almost like having a part time job.  I'm not sure if I'm just wasting time because I never get any feedback on the calls I report.