Community Forum

Smart TV damaged by Comcast Box, can I repair the TV and be refunded by Comcast?

Regular Visitor

Smart TV damaged by Comcast Box, can I repair the TV and be refunded by Comcast?

I submitted a claim to Comcast because their boxes damaged my TVs. We're in the storm season here in FL and comcast boxes have been damaged constantly, last 2 months I've been replacing them once a week!!. And every time they fail they cause damage to my TVs. When the box fails, only the HDMI port used by the comcast box is damaged in the TV. Each time this happens I replace the comcast box and use a distinct HDMI port in the TV (it has 5). But the problem keeps repeating and now I run out of HDMI ports in my 2 TVs. The SMPS of the boxes and TVs are ok, all other TV functions are ok, also, the internet modem and other devices connected to the same surge protector are all ok. This all points to a problem either in the comcast external box or cable boxes, they seem to present a weaker path to current through the HDMI ports. I submitted a claim to Comcast but the agent told me that they will contact me back in up to two weeks - this is just to discuss the matter. I can't wait that long, the world cup is on its finals!! I'm worked for over 10 years for a major TV manufacturer as Technical Trainer teaching the service network technicians how to fix TVs and other devices. I know exactly how to fix the TV. So I wonder, can I fix the TVs and then be refunded from Comcast? I would only request the part cost (with the receipt) to be refunded. Has anybody had any similar experience? having to fix the TVs on your own and then claim the refund later? Thanks
Valued Contributor

Re: Smart TV damaged by Comcast Box, can I repair the TV and be refunded by Comcast?

So it sounds like your service is not grounded properly, if at all. Why in the world would you keep letting the issue happen without having it fixed? A comcast tech will have to come look over your setup to ensure it was comcast's responsibility. You are lucky that is the only damage you have to deal with.
Although, since only your TV was affected on same outlset, and multiple boxes got fried off it, it actually sounds like your tv was possibly the culprit.
Only an on-site tech can/will determine this, and your ticket you have submitted is what gets that ball rolling.
Regular Visitor

Re: Smart TV damaged by Comcast Box, can I repair the TV and be refunded by Comcast?

Thanks for your answer. its not one TV that fried multiple boxes I have 4 TVs at home, last year 2 were damaged, with the same symptom: the comcast box and the TV's HDMI port connected to it too. I reported to Comcast but they never showed up even until today (one year passed!! and they never came after several calls). So I fixed them on my own and moved them to other bedrooms where they are almost never used. then I brought 2 OTHER TVs to replace them. So, this year the issue is happening again with these OTHER two TVs, but the symptom is the same: the comcast box gets damage and the TV's hdmi port connected to it is damaged too. And today, a few minutes ago I found that the issue happened again: comcast box is damaged and I lost another HDMI port in my 2nd TV.. So, it is not one but 4 TVs involved, all different models, so I wouldn't blame them for damaging the boxes. I hope Comcast will show up in this 2nd claim, it makes no sense to sit and wait two years... it is simply unacceptable to wait 365 days for a claim, now it seems I have to wait 365 more days.
New Poster

I've had the same problem. Over the last 2 months since I've gotten comcast service I've had a tech out because I couldn't get anything on my main TV (where the DVR is). After the first visit, I noticed the box had been switched from HDMI1 to HDMI2 (same box stayed). I didn't think much of it at the time. I just kept it there. Then it happened again. Last night the tech came out and moved the box to HDMI3 and it worked. I tried to communicated what I thought was happening and that my ports are getting damaged by the box so they finally replaced the box but now I'm sure those ports no longer work. I'm going to test them tonight with my PC. Not sure what path to take if those ports are damaged.