Community Forum

Signed up for Offer, but no service

Highlighted
New Poster

Signed up for Offer, but no service

Long story. Apologies in advance.

We have been an Xfinity/Comcast customer for over 20 years. After some changes in my personal life, I needed to activate new service, in my name (not my spouse's) at my home. So there would temporarily be existing service in her name, and new service order in my name at the same home address.

On 3/21, I returned a voice modem to the local store. The store clerk told me 'no changes can be made to your service' at the store. Within an hour after getting home, my Internet service was not operating.

I contacted 1 800 XFINITY and was connected to Activations.  Who told me since I returned the Xfinity modem, my service was disconnected. My confusion is my Arris SB6141 had been activated and used for over 8 years on the account. Not the Xfinity modem. Activations COULD NOT make a change to put my Arris Modem onto the network. They opened a ticket on my behalf and  I was told 24 hour turnaround.

3/22 - Called after the 24 hour timeframe, and was told 'sorry, the folks in that department won't be in until Monday morning'. I then proceeded with a new order for service and received an email confirmation that it was successful. During the order process, a chat window was opened and I asked if this would be a problem if there were 2 accounts with service at 1 address. I was told 'no, your wife will be contacted to terminate her service and the new service will be in place'. Great I thought.

3/23 - After no service monday morning, I decided to to a self activation for my Arris modem. When prompted for information, i used contact info for the order/account. It worked! Modem had a WAN IP and DNS!

3/24 - Reviewed the new order/account online. No services are shown? Huh? Reviewed the existing account (to be disconnected), both TV and Internet are shown as active. Plus the account showed the equipment I had returned on 3/21. Why?

3/25 - Thinking I now had Gig bandwidth with the new order/plan, I ordered a Docsis 3.1 cable modem.

3/26 - I get an email indicating my new equipment is on the way. Cool. The new service is operational!

3/27 - I attempt to use self activation to get the new modem online. Unsuccessful. Called Xfinity who sent me to Cheryl in billing. Who told me in no uncertain terms that I was being stupid and 2 accounts cannot be active for the same home address. I asked to have only the new account active and valid, and was told no. That offer expired. Cheryl explained that is why the new account did not show any services (I got a confirmation it was valid and I had a new account number.). Just to get the account and service straight, she created a new account (now I have 3 for the same address) with only Gig internet, no TV. April 6 is when the new service will be active and the old service will be turned off. Seems like I'm good now. Later that day I receive a package from Xfinity. It's an X1 box for the service I ordered on 3/22!

3/28 - Internet site on my phone is slow. Wifi shows 'no internet'. Checked equipment and WAN IP information isn't correct. No DNS. Plugged up my new 3.1 modem. Did self activation, after a bit of time, got DNS, connection speed is good using Xfinity speed test. But what about TV? Nada. That service has been removed.

What about the April 6 cutover?

I want the offer I signed up for, was approved for 3/21. I also obtained Xfinity equipment for this offer. Please correct these mistakes.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Signed up for Offer, but no service

@Jabberwocqy wrote:

Long story. Apologies in advance.

We have been an Xfinity/Comcast customer for over 20 years. After some changes in my personal life, I needed to activate new service, in my name (not my spouse's) at my home. So there would temporarily be existing service in her name, and new service order in my name at the same home address.

On 3/21, I returned a voice modem to the local store. The store clerk told me 'no changes can be made to your service' at the store. Within an hour after getting home, my Internet service was not operating.

I contacted 1 800 XFINITY and was connected to Activations.  Who told me since I returned the Xfinity modem, my service was disconnected. My confusion is my Arris SB6141 had been activated and used for over 8 years on the account. Not the Xfinity modem. Activations COULD NOT make a change to put my Arris Modem onto the network. They opened a ticket on my behalf and  I was told 24 hour turnaround.

3/22 - Called after the 24 hour timeframe, and was told 'sorry, the folks in that department won't be in until Monday morning'. I then proceeded with a new order for service and received an email confirmation that it was successful. During the order process, a chat window was opened and I asked if this would be a problem if there were 2 accounts with service at 1 address. I was told 'no, your wife will be contacted to terminate her service and the new service will be in place'. Great I thought.

3/23 - After no service monday morning, I decided to to a self activation for my Arris modem. When prompted for information, i used contact info for the order/account. It worked! Modem had a WAN IP and DNS!

3/24 - Reviewed the new order/account online. No services are shown? Huh? Reviewed the existing account (to be disconnected), both TV and Internet are shown as active. Plus the account showed the equipment I had returned on 3/21. Why?

3/25 - Thinking I now had Gig bandwidth with the new order/plan, I ordered a Docsis 3.1 cable modem.

3/26 - I get an email indicating my new equipment is on the way. Cool. The new service is operational!

3/27 - I attempt to use self activation to get the new modem online. Unsuccessful. Called Xfinity who sent me to Cheryl in billing. Who told me in no uncertain terms that I was being stupid and 2 accounts cannot be active for the same home address. I asked to have only the new account active and valid, and was told no. That offer expired. Cheryl explained that is why the new account did not show any services (I got a confirmation it was valid and I had a new account number.). Just to get the account and service straight, she created a new account (now I have 3 for the same address) with only Gig internet, no TV. April 6 is when the new service will be active and the old service will be turned off. Seems like I'm good now. Later that day I receive a package from Xfinity. It's an X1 box for the service I ordered on 3/22!

3/28 - Internet site on my phone is slow. Wifi shows 'no internet'. Checked equipment and WAN IP information isn't correct. No DNS. Plugged up my new 3.1 modem. Did self activation, after a bit of time, got DNS, connection speed is good using Xfinity speed test. But what about TV? Nada. That service has been removed.

What about the April 6 cutover?

I want the offer I signed up for, was approved for 3/21. I also obtained Xfinity equipment for this offer. Please correct these mistakes.

Until your [ex]wife pays the bill [if the account was in her name] you're not going to be able to have service.  [Be prepared to lose internet because you're probably tapping in on her account.]  Cheryl was right - you can't have two accounts at the same address, so until her account is terminated and the bill paid you won't be getting service.  The only other way around this, and it may not be possible at this time of "lock down", is to take your utility bill, another legal document in your name associated with your home and your photo ID to a Comcast store so they can clear this up.  Be aware, however, that deals are usually a one time thing and may have expired, so you might have to negotiate another deal.

And just an FYI, accounts aren't just tied to a person but also to an address.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Signed up for Offer, but no service

Understood, but the question remains why did the Xfinity rep on chat on 3/21 tell me this wouldn't be a problem? Also indicated my wife would be contacted to perform the disconnect. No mention of 'final payment'. No call was ever made to the 3 telephone numbers on the account.  She would have gladly disconnected the existing service.

I called again this morning and it was cleared up. There is now only 1 account in my name. My message is training is not consistent, at least the messages to me were not, and the fact there was no notification of disconnection. 

Just one more frustration:

I attempted to Transfer Admin Rights on the wife's account to her. The website message I received said I needed to remove automatic billing. I did, then saw a website message it was successful. Still couldn't Transfer Admin Rights because automatic billing was not removed. Website logic is flawed.

Confirming the account you are asked for the last 4 digits of the account holder. When I give my ex's, not the right number on file. I give mine, not the right number on file. IRS and DMV have the right number on file. Yes, I asked to get it corrected many times. Thought it was done once. Thank goodness they let you use the last 4 of the CC on file for automatic payments.