Community Forum

Setting up wifi troubles

New Poster

Setting up wifi troubles

Okay so I have been to the xfinity store and done all that fun stuff, called to activate and the guy is asking about what modem and router I have, which is all well and good because I have both - the issue is that there is no coax outlet anywhere. I'm in a basement apartment and the folks above me use comcast for internet and I am ~99% sure the person before me in this unit had comcast.

What is on the wall is a small white box that is plugged in to a power outlet, and has an ethernet port. Cables run from this white box to a gray box outside mounted to the side of the house. Xfinity activation man on the phone says they do not run run straight through ethernet and is talking about having to have a tech out to install a coax port. I quell that and say I will call back again. Have my router currently plugged into that ethernet port and my comp will connect and reads full wifi strength but won't pull any data, so I'm hijacking some other sods xfinity extra free wifi thingy? I don't know I haven't had comcast before.

Did I luck into having a built in modem? Fiber even?

Any help is appreciated guys.

Official Employee

Re: Setting up wifi troubles

@BlakeBeard wrote:

Okay so I have been to the xfinity store and done all that fun stuff, called to activate and the guy is asking about what modem and router I have, which is all well and good because I have both - the issue is that there is no coax outlet anywhere. I'm in a basement apartment and the folks above me use comcast for internet and I am ~99% sure the person before me in this unit had comcast.

What is on the wall is a small white box that is plugged in to a power outlet, and has an ethernet port. Cables run from this white box to a gray box outside mounted to the side of the house. Xfinity activation man on the phone says they do not run run straight through ethernet and is talking about having to have a tech out to install a coax port. I quell that and say I will call back again. Have my router currently plugged into that ethernet port and my comp will connect and reads full wifi strength but won't pull any data, so I'm hijacking some other sods xfinity extra free wifi thingy? I don't know I haven't had comcast before.

Did I luck into having a built in modem? Fiber even?

Any help is appreciated guys.

Sounds like Google Fiber not Comcast

New Poster

Wouldn't the lady in the store know if there was internet run to the address? She seems pretty confident that I just needed the app and my equipment to activate.

Thanks for the reply Andrew.

Valued Contributor

If there is no coax outlet you definitely would need a technician. Also, you stated basement unit, so the agent could have set you up on the wrong address. (the people above you) Hopefully Andrew can take a look for you and make sure your address is correct. Hopefully it is, because of your address is not in their system you will have to have a serviceability request and get a drop line ran (takes a minute) HOPEFULLY, this isn't the case.