Community Forum

Service to New Construction - Plant Extension?

Highlighted
New Poster

Service to New Construction - Plant Extension?

I'm currently building a home and we've been quoted $14,000.00 to run underground lines to our house. Our house sits 400' off of the ROW, and then the Comcast box is another 235' along the road. I've offered to assist and supply underground conduit on our property to lower the cost. 

14k seems very high to run 650'-ish feet of cable, etc.  I have not recieved a detailed quote for what's included in that cost. How do i get that information? How do I get the correct information about what I can do to lower that cost? The Power company ran about 600' of power lines, a new pole, and supplied a transformer near the house for $1000.00. It took them one day. If i'm going to have to spend 14k to get internet, I'd like to see a detailed proposal of what's included in that cost.

Thanks! 

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: Service to New Construction - Plant Extension?

Hi there @zachxlutz. Real talk - infrastructure is expensive, and power utilities foot a significant amount of the cost burden on their end (all in, they probably spent much more than $14k to get power strung up).

Can you private message me with your address and contact information and I'll look up the ticket? I can see if that team can provide for us the SOW with the cost breakdown factoring in you supplying the underground conduit. I'm assuming this is a post-field visit estimate?

The cost is indeed steep, but it's on par with the market cost (roughly $20 a foot). The best way to lessen the cost burden is to check with your neighborhood and see if there are others nearby who would benefit and be willing to split the cost. 

@zachxlutz wrote:

I'm currently building a home and we've been quoted $14,000.00 to run underground lines to our house. Our house sits 400' off of the ROW, and then the Comcast box is another 235' along the road. I've offered to assist and supply underground conduit on our property to lower the cost. 

14k seems very high to run 650'-ish feet of cable, etc.  I have not recieved a detailed quote for what's included in that cost. How do i get that information? How do I get the correct information about what I can do to lower that cost? The Power company ran about 600' of power lines, a new pole, and supplied a transformer near the house for $1000.00. It took them one day. If i'm going to have to spend 14k to get internet, I'd like to see a detailed proposal of what's included in that cost.

Thanks! 

I am an Official Comcast Employee on the Identity Product Team and the Serviceability team at HQ.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!