Community Forum

Service disconnected by sales without my authorization

Highlighted
Contributor

Service disconnected by sales without my authorization

The other day, my service stopped working.  I had just made a payment and since my account was past due, I called in to try and fix it, figuring there was some  snafu in the way the payment had been posted.  It was then I found out that someone had hard disconnected my account to try and establish a new one.  I had to bounce around various departments before getting someone in sales who could fix the issue.  Since I used to work at Comcast, I brushed it off as an error from an overeager sales agent who opened an account at the wrong address, but afterwards it got me to thinking.

The main reason why this account has been delinquent is that I live with people that use the service, but don't want to contribute.  I explained to people that I would need them to contribute to the bill if they wanted the service, but had to collect equipment when they refused.  I had actually planned to slim down the account now that its down to splitting it with another person, who's the only one I've been able to depend upon, then this happens.

I come to find out today that comcast equipment was delivered.  One of the people who had to give up equipment actually called to set up an account, which was what caused my account to be disconnected.  He was told that he would be able to have an account and it wouldn't affect my account, but from what I remember, there can only be one active residential account at a service address in most situations.  At this point, I don't know if he's lying, or if the sales agent was just bluffing and diong whatever they could to make a sale (unless somehow this process changed, but the fact my account was disconnected tells me otherwise).  I am trying to find a way to escalate this, because frankly, the whole thing is a breach of security on my account and I want to make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen again.

Contributor

Re: Service disconnected by sales without my authorization

They were actually able to activate this equipment.  Talking with billing, they tell me there are indeed two active accounts, but only one account is supposed to be active at a service address, as was the case when I worked there.  I don't want this other account affecting my account again.  It was never supposed to be opened in the first place, it was opened as a result of closing my account, which never should have happened.  I'm not having a lot of luck trying to find anyone to help on this, phone support is playing hot potato with my calls  If an employee that is actually able to help could contact me about this, it would be appreciated.

Contributor

Okay, I finally managed to get ahold of someone after playing plenty of phone tag who told me that they would have to contact the other person that opened an account and have it closed.  I came to find out that they actually had internet for a couple weeks before they got the new cable boxes and that led to a huge fight which is another story altogether.  I just hope Comcast is more  careful in the future.

Valued Contributor

The only way your account should have been disconnected, was if that person who setup the account showed proof of residence with their name on it. You are correct, with one active account per address. This person's order should never have been processed, nor should it have been activated after that unless they DID provide proof of residence. Then it is technically valid. If you BOTH are on the paperwork, then you both need to sit down together and decide whose name it should be in, and have that ONE account setup and activated. I am not an employee, as you probably already know.
Contributor

Sales is too eager to make a sale to ask for proof of residency, and most installers don't ever bother on this (I know I've never been asked by an installer).  He did it in his daughter's name who isn't even here most of the time, and I'm pretty sure I didn't see an installer.  I believe he went with the self-install option.   Like I said, I used to work for Comcast, I know how these things can slip through the cracks.

Contributor

In any event, that last agent did what he said he was going to do, disconnected the new account since the old account should have not been disconnected and there couldn't be two active and called to explain this.  Suffice it to say, the whole truth came out about the other account from the perpetrator and it got ugly.  The situation has been resolved from Comcast's point of view, in any event.