Community Forum

Scam to get a technician into your home?

New Poster

Scam to get a technician into your home?

I'm not sure which board to post this on. I received 2 phone calls today from someone claiming to be a Comcast technician, asking to make an appointment to come into my home to check on a vaguely worded problem with our service. When I told him that the service was fine, he said that I might not notice anything wrong, but that there was a problem in my neighborhood and he wanted to make sure that I didn't have any issues. We are not in a disaster area and I have no reason to think that there is any problem in the neighborhood.

It really sounded like a scam to me - since when does anyone from Comcast call customers to check on a non-existent problem?

Who do I call to report this? I'd hate to see a gullible person let a stranger into their home.

Expert

Re: Scam to get a technician into your home?

It's not a scam. Comcast has identified an issue with your service. They are offering to repair it free of charge before it gets worse. 

I am not an employee.
New Poster

I got a very similar call - showing as from Brazil? Vague wording about a problem with my internet, had me look to make sure cables were connected. Then set up an appointment for a tech visit....but when I called customer service I was told no appointments are scheduled. The person who called asked for no personal info...very puzzling
Regular Contributor

Huoguofengzi wrote:
I got a very similar call - showing as from Brazil? Vague wording about a problem with my internet, had me look to make sure cables were connected. Then set up an appointment for a tech visit....but when I called customer service I was told no appointments are scheduled. The person who called asked for no personal info...very puzzling

I had a phone call today -- man with a foreign accent, very poor connection, claiming possible "Internet leakage" on my service.  He said he wanted to "walk me through it" to find the problem and try to correct it.  I hung up at that point, so don't know if an offer to have a tech come out would have followed or not.  But our neighbor had the same type of call; a tech appointment was (alledgedly) made.  And when she called 1-800-COMCAST (which was NOT the number the original call came from) to try and reschedule the appointment, there was no record of a service appointment having been made.  So I'm afraid I must disagree with a previous poster (Nerdburg) who said it's legitimate.  Doesn't sound like it to me.

Expert

mrshvd3 wrote:

So I'm afraid I must disagree with a previous poster (Nerdburg) who said it's legitimate.  Doesn't sound like it to me.

I understand that it's hard to believe that Comcast is doing something proactive and free. But they do indeed make these types of calls and repairs. Make an appointment and get it fixed before it gets worse. A real Comcast tech will show up in a real Comcast truck, you can even ask for ID from the tech if needed. There is no catch.

I am not an employee.
Regular Contributor

nerdburg wrote:

mrshvd3 wrote:

So I'm afraid I must disagree with a previous poster (Nerdburg) who said it's legitimate.  Doesn't sound like it to me.

I understand that it's hard to believe that Comcast is doing something proactive and free. But they do indeed make these types of calls and repairs. Make an appointment and get it fixed before it gets worse. A real Comcast tech will show up in a real Comcast truck, you can even ask for ID from the tech if needed. There is no catch.

It's not the "proactive and free" part that bothers me.  We're told over and over again to NOT trust people who contact us and want to become involved with our computers from their end.  And when people call 1-800-COMCAST to verify the call they've received and/or the appointment that's been set, nobody at Customer Service knows anything about it.  I did a bit of searching around; the only people who got an answer saying it wasn't a scam are the ones who called back the number that called them rather than calling 1-800-COMCAST.  I don't know what to suggest -- but if it's legitimate, it might be a good idea to set this service up so that it doesn't look so much like the scam calls we've all come to know and (not) love.

Expert

You're not wrong. Comcast finally does something right, but still, manages to screw it up 

I am not an employee.
Regular Contributor

nerdburg wrote:

You're not wrong. Comcast finally does something right, but still, manages to screw it up 

In addition to which.....I've heard from two people now who called 1-800-COMCAST about this (since my posting yesterday) and were told that this IS a scam and not to be trusted.  I'm glad to see that people are starting to pay attention to the warnings about unsolicited offers of help -- if this is to be distinguished from a scam, Comcast is going to have to do it differently.

Expert

You can both be right.

I did get (an automated call) from Comcast years ago saying they found a problem with my existing hardware and I needed to call them back to fix it. To be fair, the number they left turned out to be an official Comcast number, and I wound up upgrading my modem to one that was capable of handling the increased speed tier they gave me for free.

However, that does not preclude scammers or even thieves setting up fake service installs to get access into your home. Remember it's pretty easy to spoof Caller IDs or email headers. 

"Trust, but verify." - Ronald Reagan

The Experts are regular customers who volunteer their time helping other customers on the Forums and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

WHEN YOU CALL XFINITY-COMCAST, AS TOLD TO US BY AN EXECUTIVE AT COMCAST, : DEMAND THAT THE TECH NOT BE AN INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR. SEVERAL PEOPLE (INCLUDING OURSELVES) WERE SENT SUCH A CONTRACTOR, IN AN UNMARKED VAN ,AFTER WE CALLED REGARDING SLOW INTERNET AND PHONE SERVICE . TWO "TECHS" WHO BARELY SPOKE ENGLISH ARRIVED AT OUR HOME, \. ONE FLASHED SOME KND OF COMCAST ID-..THEY THEN SPENT OVER ONE HOUR "CHECKING OUT THE EQUIPMENT", - WHEN ASKED WHERE THEY WERE FROM ORIGINALLY, THEY SAID THEY WERE ORIGINALLY FROM UZBEKISTAN . THEY WANTED TO SEE THE REST OF OUR HOUSE.. WE SAID THERE ARE NO CABLE CONNECTIONS EXCEPT FOR 2 ROOMS. THEY WENT INTO OUR ATTIC. THEN THEY LEFT TELLING US "ALL WAS GOOD". THAT OUR UPLOAD SPEED OF 0.25 WAS REALLY GOOD, AND DOWNLOAD OF 30MBPS WAS NORMAL. AN HOUR LATER, THE EQUIPMENT LITERALLY STOPPED WORKING. NO PHONE, NO INTERNET. PIXELATION ON TV CHANNELS.THE "TECHS" TOLD US IT WAS AN INTERNAL COMCAST PROBLEM, AND WE SHOULD CALL COMCAST. WE CALLED COMCAST, AND ASKED FOR AN EMERGENCY REPAIR PERSON WHO SPOKE ENGLISH, AND WAS IN A MARKED XFINITY TRUCK. THE NEXT DAY, A YOUNG FELLOW WHO OBVIOUSLY KNEW WHAT HE WAS DOING FOUND THAT THOSE 2 "TECHS" HAD PLACED SOME KIND OF AMPLIFIER IN OUR ATTIC, AND HAD WIRED THE OUTSIDE CABLING INCORRECTLY. THE YOUNG FELLOW WAS AT OUR HOME FOR LESS THAN A HALF HOUR, AND REPAIRED THE DAMAGE THE "INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS " HAD DONE. HE MENTIONED THERE ARE MANY SCAMS GOING AROUND, AND IF THE INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS ARE INDEED LEGIT, THAT THEY ONLY RECEIVE ONE MONTH OF TRAINING, AS OPPOSED TO ONE YEAR FOR FULL TIME TECHS. I SUGGEST COMCAST IMPLEMENT A TELEPHONE NUMBER EXCLUSIVELY TO VERIFY THE ID AND NUMBER OF THEIR EMPLOYEE.
Admin1

Hi Adsong -- Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We do hire contractor companies to help us with installation jobs when we are overbooked. We do expect that these companies provide proper training to their employees so that situations like this do not occur. We will have this feedback passed along to them. 

Regular Visitor

Possible (probable) the scammers are posting fake comments saying the calls are legit.

Tags (1)
New Poster

I received that same call today. I politely took the number down and stated I'd need to call back to schedule. The number is 1-800-427-0106. I then called Comcast directly at 1-800-XFINITY. I spoke with a woman who said yes, there was a problem they detected and that yes, there was a note on my account that I may be having "leakage" which could affect my internet and TV. I also found an article from the Boston Globe from August 12, 2017 also verifying this is real. However, having said that, I can also assume that many others mimic this call, and that it can also be a scam. Always call the company directly to discover if they really are providing normal maintenance calls. The company can make the appointment just as easily as the caller.