Community Forum

Retention agents are essentially salespeople for the competition

New Poster

Retention agents are essentially salespeople for the competition

I finished my introductory 2 years and the price hike hit like clockwork.  So, I decided it was time to revise my services to something more reasonable - based on what I actually used over the past two years.  I did some research on other local options, but before jumping ship I thought I'd see what Xfinity could do in the way of a more modest package.  When I called into the support line I ended up with the Retention group and asked about options with 140 channels, figuring that might get me down somewhere near the price of other local combos from ISPs.  Silly me, after waiting on hold for them to do whatever they do, the agent comes back with a 200 channel package.  When I asked for the other option I had requested, I was told she didn't have access to any of those packages because I had been a Premier customer, but the package she offered would save me $30.  When I asked if she could get pricing for hte other packages, she told me I should call back in and ask for Sales.  

As I said in the title - seems like Comcast/Xfinity either doesn't train their "retention agents" or provide them the tools needed to encourage people to stay with Comcast, or the company really isn't at all interested in actually retaining customers.  Has anyone out there successfully downgraded from the X1 Premium Triple Play to a package that is more affordable for someone about to enter retirement?  If so, how did you do it?  The good news is my home is already wired for cable, DSL and Satellite, so I won't have to go through the usual installation nightmare if I end up switching.

New Poster

Re: Retention agents are essentially salespeople for the competition

So, I was able to get a more reasonable deal by calling into the sales number and explaining what I needed to the agent.  It took a bit of discussion back-and-forth, but I set a reasonable target and made it clear I would leave if I got one more upsell offer.  Amazingly, the agent listened, provided guidance on what they could offer, explained the charges for each option and after a bit of prodding was able to find a deal that fit in my budget.

My recommendation is to just call the sales line as the retention department is nothing more than a sham that pushes up-selling rather than customer service.  Based on this experience, it is clear Comcast doesn't really value their customers' loyalty, so while I signed up for the deal they offered, the effort I had to expend should not have been required.  I will definitely be spending the next 24 months experimenting with different options to drop all but Internet service at the end of my current contract.  I wish all of you trying to work with Comcast customer service to get a renewal deal good luck; unfortunately, it appears you will need it - along with an immense amount of patience and persistence.

Official Employee

Re: Retention agents are essentially salespeople for the competition

mgerdes1-- Thank you for this update, if you need any further help going forward please reach out to us, we are always here to assist.