Community Forum

Re: exceeding data plan

New Poster

Hi. Exact same problem, driving me nuts and costing a lot of money. So, first off i think the 2-months worth of leniency they tout is for 2 months only, not 2 months every year. is that your understanding? Now, assuming that there are Comcast people looking at this as well, I'd like to commiserate as well as suggest some tools we need to avoid these charges possibly. First off, the data usage meters are useless. We need hourly usage meter and data identification. My feeling is that Comcast is really cleaning up on this, so I doubt they'll oblige with anything that gives us true information that we can use to curb these costs. Also, (and I've spoken with Comcast reps x4 about this issue), there is no list, no chart, no info about WHAT constitutes data usage in their minds. You might turn your tv off with the roku still streaming some tune in radio station....does that data usage end then? Or does it continue, perhaps for 24 hours until you turn your tv on again. NO identification of different values that downloading something vs. streaming might be. If I download a 1GB movie file, does that count for 1GB towards my usage? Or are there times during the day when it your data plan doesn't take quite as large a hit? It's all this very mysterious "data plan" and my feeeling has been that comcast is perfectly happy to keep it that way. I can't spend more time on the phone with reps who don't have answers for me (possibly bc/ there aren't any) and then just try to upsell me on their next plan, so i'm going to post this request for customer  / informational benefit-seeking people like you and me. Good Luck!

Expert

@tombyrne04 wrote:

Hi. Exact same problem, driving me nuts and costing a lot of money. So, first off i think the 2-months worth of leniency they tout is for 2 months only, not 2 months every year. is that your understanding?

The first two months you exceed a terabyte you will not be charged for overages, no matter how much you use during those months. You will only be subject to overage charges if you use more than a terabyte for a third time in a 12-month period. If you use more than a terabyte two times or less in a 12-month period, your courtesy month balance will reset to two at the end of these 12 months. However, if you use more than a terabyte three times in a 12-month period, no more courtesy months will be given. The 12-month period begins the first time you exceed a terabyte.

First off, the data usage meters are useless. We need hourly usage meter and data identification.

Many routers offerer data usage applications. The router is the brains of your home network, so it knows what devices and applications are using data if you configure it to do so. However, Comcast is not monitoring what applications or devices you use, so they have no way to tabulate that specific data. Comcast counts data usage as anything that passes throught the modem (up and down) as data usage. I dosen't matter what device or what application. If it data transmitted by the modem, it counts as usage. 

This might help: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/My-Account/ANSWERED-Xfinity-Internet-Data-Usage-Guide/ta-p/3049979

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Expert

If you have a family and kids with smart phones and other devices you need to figure out how to use the router monitors.

Many smart phones, I-pads, etc., come with many apps continuously up-dating in the background (especially GPS oriented). You might need to go to "tool" menus on each to stop some of these actions.