Community Forum

Re: Upgraded to the Gigabit Internet Tier, sent a new incompatible modem.

Regular Visitor

Similar Problem Myself! Upgraded to the Gigabit Internet and opted to buy my own modem. Comcast Suggested a modem so I went and bought it. Got back hooked it up got it activated an speeds were under 300mbps, called Comcast an they said that modem was not the correct modem even though it was the one the rep told me. So back to the store I went to get the other modem. Which cost me an EXTRA 100 Dollars (Was 189.99). Got it back home, hooked it up called to activate and same issue. I had the Extreme 150 previously and now im getting 50mbps down and 10up. Slower than my previous package. I have yet to get it resolved, almost makes my internet unusable. To top it all off the rep told me the price and when I got my bill ended up being 50 dollars more than what I was told on the phone. Im reaching out here on the Forum as I find the reps here seem to help me much more than the people on the phone. Last time I had a 2 MONTH issue ComcastShane was able to get me fixed within a couple of days. Im hoping someone here can help me get this fixed and get my bill where its suppose to be.
Expert

Hi @Twoods196

First, make sure you are actually on the gig speed tier. Visit https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com to determine your speed tier. After you log into your account, your speed tier will be displayed on the left-hand side of your screen. Alternatively, you can view the speed tier to which you are subscribed here. Sign in and scroll down to the data usage graph area.

What modem did you buy? When you test speeds, directly connect to the modem via ethernet ( you'll have to powercycle the modem everytime you connect a different device to it.) No router/WiFi.

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Regular Visitor

Yes I'm on the gigabit tier and the modem I'm using is the SB8200. I'm hooked directly from computer to modem.