Community Forum

Re: TV Channel is choppy and heavy pixelation on NBCSN ch. 206

Frequent Visitor

Do you have more than one x1 set top box? YES I have 5 tv's with boxes

if so, do they all have the same issue at the same time on that channel? Yes

using a desk/lap top to view the stream TV website or using a smart device and the Xfinity Stream TV app does it have the same issue at the same time? No, streaming is clear and not affected

Thanks for taking the time to help.  Much appreciated

John

Expert

@tzk3jk wrote:

Do you have more than one x1 set top box? YES I have 5 tv's with boxes

if so, do they all have the same issue at the same time on that channel? Yes

using a desk/lap top to view the stream TV website or using a smart device and the Xfinity Stream TV app does it have the same issue at the same time? No, streaming is clear and not affected

Thanks for taking the time to help.  Much appreciated

John

you have narrowed down the problem to the cable (coax) itself. the noise or frequency is having a problem and it could be at a point before connecting to your home or happening due to a problem inside your home.  An in-house Comcast technician has the equipment to determine where the problem source exists and can fix the issue or cause the issue if not inside your home to be fixed. you can call 800-Comcast and select TV service and give the information you provided. They will set up the service call to your home.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Hi, Since you've helped a lot, I wanted to provide an update.  Comcast sent out Matt, the most talented and thorough technician I have ever met.  Matt said there was a lot of noise on the lines, but that his meters didn't have the ability to sense pixelation.

1. He replaced the ends in the box on the outside of the house

2. He replaced all the ends on the Comcast amplifier

3. He removed a "reducer" or "limiter" fitting that was on the amplifier

4. He found 2 loose connections on one x1 box and tightened (this removed all the noise)

5. He climbed the pole and found that squirrels had been nibbling on the "hard" line.  He said he would report that for repair, but that it would take awhile.

Pixelation Status:  It has been a week since the Comcast visit.  I've noticed the pixelation only two times since whereas it used to be daily and frequently.  A huge improvement, but not totally fixed.

Expert

@tzk3jk wrote:

Hi, Since you've helped a lot, I wanted to provide an update.  Comcast sent out Matt, the most talented and thorough technician I have ever met.  Matt said there was a lot of noise on the lines, but that his meters didn't have the ability to sense pixelation.

1. He replaced the ends in the box on the outside of the house

2. He replaced all the ends on the Comcast amplifier

3. He removed a "reducer" or "limiter" fitting that was on the amplifier

4. He found 2 loose connections on one x1 box and tightened (this removed all the noise)

5. He climbed the pole and found that squirrels had been nibbling on the "hard" line.  He said he would report that for repair, but that it would take awhile.

Pixelation Status:  It has been a week since the Comcast visit.  I've noticed the pixelation only two times since whereas it used to be daily and frequently.  A huge improvement, but not totally fixed.

reopened replies per your request. you should unmark the best answer post's right side menu dots)

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

This is an update to my earler post today (8-5-18).  After providing the update that my pixelation was significantley reduced it started again with a vengence.  It returned full force on channel 206, and aslo was very bad on 201, and briefly on 232.  So all the thorough work by Matt the Comcast tech, while good stuff, has not fixed the problem.

[Thanks to Rustyben for reopening the thread]

Expert

@tzk3jk wrote:

This is an update to my earler post today (8-5-18).  After providing the update that my pixelation was significantley reduced it started again with a vengence.  It returned full force on channel 206, and aslo was very bad on 201, and briefly on 232.  So all the thorough work by Matt the Comcast tech, while good stuff, has not fixed the problem.

[Thanks to Rustyben for reopening the thread]

HI, was Matt wearing a Comcast uniform and in a Comcast truck? some techs are not in-house and do not have the meters to scan frequencies for the noise/low signal (like the one you are having).

Frequent Visitor

Yes, Matt was driving a Comcast truck and wearing (I believe) a Comcast shirt.  As we were troubleshooting he would show me the "noise" on his meter and how he removed all noise (the graph was a "flat line".  

He said the signal was strong, 13db's???? - I don't quite remember the db's for sure, but he said they were well with normal range.  What he said about his meter was that they could not detect pixelation.  Thanks for your help.

Expert

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread from a Comcast Official Employee.

Official Employee

HI, was Matt wearing a Comcast uniform and in a Comcast truck? some techs are not in-house and do not have the meters to scan frequencies for the noise/low signal (like the one you are having).
_________

RustyBen, That is false. All techs, in house or contracted has the necessary diagnostic equipment.
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Official Employee

Tzk3jk, if you need another tech out let us know. We can find out if there’s an order to replace the mainline that had squirrel chew.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

A crew just arrived to replace the "hard" line.  They said they would run a new line and then another crew would come out between midnight and 6am to splice it in.  My next door neighbor, who has Comcast, was outside and mentioned he'd been having picture problems also.  Thanks Andrew and thanks again to Rustyben.  Stay tuned!  John B

Official Employee

Hi @tzk3jk

I'm sorry to hear your issues have returned. I can further investigate your TV issues and schedule another tech if needed. In order to assist you, could you please send me a private message including your first and last name and the phone number associated with your services? 

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click send a message. 

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the offer ComcastChe.  If the new line was spliced in today between midnight and 6am then it did not solve the problem as I had 2 instances of pixelation on 206 this afternoon in limited viewing.  I'll monitor a few days more in case they didn't do the splicing last night.

Frequent Visitor

Bad news.  The intermittent pixelation continues.  Today (8-9-18) it was on 204, 205, and 206. I do not monitor all stations.   I will send ComcastChe a message with my contact information for further action.

Official Employee

Hi @tzk3jk

Just reaching out to see how your tech visit went? Were they able to isolate the cause of your tiling issues? 

Frequent Visitor

Hi ComcastChe,

Thanks for setting up today's appointment.  I gave Antonio events to date so he took a quick look inside then went to the pole.  He told me there was a problem with the signal.  Normal range is +10 to -10.  He was getting readings of 20 and greater.  He scheduled a replacement of some equipment on the pole.  The next tech came out within a couple of hours and replaced something in a box on the wire and possibly some cable - all on the pole or between poles.  He was here approx 2 hours troubleshooting and fixing.  Now I'll monitor the situation to see if the problem has been resolved.  It certainly appears that the problem was identified and corrected.  I appreciate your help.  It has made a huge difference in getting this problem addressed.  Thank you!!

John

Official Employee

You're very welcome! I'm just happy we were finally able to get someone out who could locate and fix the issue for you. Let continue to monitor this for a few days and see how things go before we determine it to be resolved. Is that ok with you?

I'll reach out in a few days to see how things are going. 

Frequent Visitor

I think it is fine to close this case as a very likely cause was found and fixed.  If it (the pixelation) should reoccur I'll let you know.  Thanks again for all the help tracking down and resolving a really elusive problem.

Official Employee

You're welcome @tzk3jk! I've replied to your private message with one last piece of info for you. Take care!