Community Forum

Re: Split Internet Service into 2 Incoming Lines

New Poster

Re: Split Internet Service into 2 Incoming Lines

My son and I have been on the phone for last two hours with Comcast about our second internet modem being disconnected.  We've been told several things about why this happened and cannot add it back on.  First we have had it connnected for last 5 weeks without issue, and employee sought verification that both were working correctly back in October.  For most of 2017 we also had it connected without issues and suddenly this morning it's now according to the employee's we've talked with unable to add two modems to account.  No advanced warning that Comcast reprogrammed this change and removed this ability and sounds like your employee's don't even know it until they check with their supervisors.  What a way to treat your customers.  For being in the communication industry you don't communicate very well do you.  

New Poster

two modems

My son works from home and has another internet/netgear modem.  He has had it connected for last 5 weeks when he moved back home and prior to that had it connected for most of 2017.  Comcast connected both modems and even verified both were working.  Now this morning his modem was disconnected and Comcast is telling us we cannot have two modems connected to same account, we would need a second account with additional cost of $79/mo.  No notification that this was even an issue or that Comcast was going to change their programming to not allow this any longer.  Employee's didn't seem to know until we we switched to 4 different departments and concluded that they were not informed about this either..  Pretty bad to just let you customers suffer due to poor leadership decisions on this programming change.  

Expert

Re: two modems

@pauldean173 wrote:

My son works from home and has another internet/netgear modem.  He has had it connected for last 5 weeks when he moved back home and prior to that had it connected for most of 2017.  Comcast connected both modems and even verified both were working.  Now this morning his modem was disconnected and Comcast is telling us we cannot have two modems connected to same account, we would need a second account with additional cost of $79/mo.  No notification that this was even an issue or that Comcast was going to change their programming to not allow this any longer.  Employee's didn't seem to know until we we switched to 4 different departments and concluded that they were not informed about this either..  Pretty bad to just let you customers suffer due to poor leadership decisions on this programming change.  

You can't have two modems enabled at the same address.  The only way to do that is to have two separate "addresses" and a second account.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@pauldean173 wrote:

My son works from home and has another internet/netgear modem. 

If your son works from home he may want to consider installing business class internet or in some places, Comcast may be able to install the second modem for telecommuters. This typically has tax benefits. In either case, it's still going to cost you more $.

Does he actually need a separate modem?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

The issue isn't necessarily how my son accesses the internet.  The issue is that Comcast programmed a change that prevents this effective 11/27/18 without notifying their customers of this change so advanced preparations can be managed.  On top of that we were being told different things by several employees most of whom did not know about this change and then comcast supervisors insisting that no change took place that this has always been in effect.  Lying to your customers about this change doesn't give us confidence or trust with comcast.  

Highlighted
Expert

The billing system does not allow two modems at the same address under most conditions. There are ways to force two modems on an account, but eventually, an audit will catch it. It's not a "new" policy. 

I asked about your son's usage because typically there is no reason to use a second modem.   

New Poster

Then most of your employee's do not know that and it wasn't an issue for over a year in 2017 and the last 5 weeks.  Your employee's had no issue to connect both up until 2 days ago and now they can't even do it because they removed the "code" to connect both according to two of your employee's we spoke with.  Comcast employee's are not all on the same page here and that's why I am having trust issues with comcast.  You never know if what they are saying is factual or not.  No need to respond, just fix your internal operations!!!!

Expert

@pauldean173 wrote:

Then most of your employee's do not know that and it wasn't an issue for over a year in 2017 and the last 5 weeks.  Your employee's had no issue to connect both up until 2 days ago and now they can't even do it because they removed the "code" to connect both according to two of your employee's we spoke with.  Comcast employee's are not all on the same page here and that's why I am having trust issues with comcast.  You never know if what they are saying is factual or not.  No need to respond, just fix your internal operations!!!!

@Nerdburg and myself are not Comcast employees; we are customers that help out here in the forums.

Having said that, the information we've given you is true.  Most likely what happened is that Comcast audited your account and discovered the second modem and then disabled it.  They didn't make any recent change because it's been this way for a long time.