Community Forum

Re: Rural Internet Connection

New Poster

Comcast even with millions in taxpayer subsidies for rural development has no plans to expand into areas that don't currently have broadband. I can attest to the fact there are many areas in Washington state that should have had connectivity 10 years ago, but probably wont see any improvements in the next 10 years. Its sad that our elected officials wont touch this matter either.
Admin1

Hi Unionman22 -- I can help provide you more information about service expansion. We are always looking for a way to expand our service to as many customers as possible. This would include looking at rural areas. We do have to be diligent about expansion viability. Please understand that it is not always viable to expand our infrastructure into certain areas. If we are able to complete a viable expansion, then we certainly will make plans to do so. If you are interested in seeing if we can or plan on expanding into certain areas, please let us know what those areas are and we can tell you if we're able to expand there. 

New Poster

I am in the process of developing a 5 acre parcel in Mason county, Washington state. Nearest township Shelton, WA. I have attempted to review the associated documents for the "Connect America" eligibility maps courtesy of the FCC website, which for some reason are more driven by one carrier or another's input. I did not see where any consumer input was taken into consideration. I think this is an issue. Over the years, Comcast and Verizon of which I am a customer of both have gleaned from me probably in the neighborhood of $400,000.00 for goods and services. I would guess some part of that is contributed to taxpayer subsidies in the form of fees and taxes. Again is supposedly for developing an ever expanding area of coverage. So this is where I'm perplexed. PUD 3 which is my district (public utility) wants me to lay in fiber optic cable when I trench for underground electrical. It's for "Future" broadband infrastructure. As it stands, since 2012 when this grand plan for connecting rural areas, there has been no headway made for getting a broadband cable strung west of Shelton, How hard is that? I was going to try paying the extra money to Verizon for "unlimited" data plan in conjunction with a portable jet pack wifi router. But when one exceeds a certain amount of data the legal description of "unlimited" goes into a gray area which Verizon has used to actually limit data by throttling back the up and download side of data transmitted. Century link, Fairpoint, and Frontier are the satellite options. However for the actual service provided and data transfer limitations that option is not cost effective for the consumer. I also read somewhere these same companies have filed lawsuits in other states because those states chose to build very effective broadband cable access, but because they were in "unfair" competition, now consumers have to pay more for worse service. Where is the common sense in that? If Comcast doesn't want to run broadband into rural areas I think it should be a states obligation to do so, or at least make available wifi off a cell tower ( which there's one not 600 feet from my property).

New Poster

My mom would love to have Comcast. Neighbors about half a mile to u see a mike have Comcast; the church up the risk half a mile has Comcast. My neighbor is further off the road than we are. The local Comcast office said our location was not serviceable. Not only do I want to know why my neighbors rural property has it but what it would take to get service where mom is. We can get any answers which don't sound like a robot speaking. Why is there a gap in service for us and our neighbors and what would it take to get service. Our location is rural SWVA
New Poster

She is close to Mt View church in Pulaski Co. we feel we should be served as equally as other county residences and contributing tax payers.
We would like to know the decision process and how many people would it require to do what is needed to provide service?
Official Employee

Ss831, more than likely, the address isn't serviceable because the plant is too far from your address. To do a plant extension that far would be expensive for both Comcast and for you. It's not a matter of how many people it would service because construction estimates are done by the house and not by the neighborhood. If you're interested to see what those costs may be, I can look into that. I can reach out to our construction team for that. Just let me know. 

KenF

New Poster

Hello, I would like to see about expansion into the Keystone Heights FL outlying areas. I telecommute and have to rent a house in town to do so which means over $1000 of my salary goes to that. I have been a clinic customer for over a year and would like to have service taken out to my property. Xfinity ran a line underground on the highway to the school but will not hook up any of the homes. There are approximately 800 homes in this area that would love to quit Hughes Net.