Community Forum

Re: Performance Internet speed on Comcast

New Poster

I called Comcast yesterday to change my service. As my Comcast experience the past couple of years has been horrendous, I also record the call "for quality assurance purposes". The agent offered me internet only for $54.99 and stated on this recorded call that the internet speed for this plan is 100 mbp. I agreed. When I logged onto my account to review the new plan, I couldn't help but notice that instead of Internet Blast, the agent added "Performance Internet" and the price is $67.45 not $54.91. There was nothing about the speed of the internet on this plan, so I searched the interent. Here online, I am seeing that the speed of the performance internet package is only 50 mbps, not the 100 mpbs of Internet Blast as promised in this new plan. Of course, I get nothing in writing that tells me what the internet speed for this package, but if the information on the internet is correct, the agent not only lied to me about the speed she was assigning to my account, but it is half the speed I currently have and price more that of than my current package with TV (that has never worked). On top of that, this plan has a termination fee which the agent didn't tell me about when she offered the package. Does this new plan come with $115 termination fee to prevent customers from cancelling the contract once they find out that the Comcast agent has lied to obtain customer consent? This is not the first time a Comcast agent has lied about the package details or the price of that package to obtain my consent and frankly, it's despicable. It's also fraud. What does the customer have to do be provided with transparent pricing and get the price and speed offered on the phone when dealing with Comcast?
New Poster

You're not the only one in this boat. The advertised speed is "Up To 10Mbps". Effectively, what this means is they can limit your bandwidth to anything below 10Mbps. I've been running multiple internet speed tests using multiple online sources as well as a personally created one and have found that for the most part, these speeds are between 5-7Mbps on average. I've also tried these tests using 3 different devices by different manufacturers, which have 3 different installed network adapters (b/g, N, and AC). All with the same results. I've contacted Customer Service and Technical Support. The response I received was that, "5-7 Mbps download speed is quite good". It's roughly 75-80% of the throughput. My response, then perhaps I should only pay 75-80% of my monthly bill. That sounds good to me. The BIG-CATCH 22 I just noticed is that Comcast is not only limiting the amount of bandwidth a customer has, but also limiting AND CHARGING its customers for TOTAL MONTHLY DATA USE. Much in the same way Verizon did when they bought out the competition and started limiting their plans from Unlimited to 2 or 4GB and charged for every MB over. So if you have a Performance Starter plan or promo plan, you have 2 months to go over and more than likely you will. So eventhough it's set at 1TB of data, if I were to download and upload multiple files like movies and audio books to my cloud/app/or otherwise, I would end up owing a lot of money to Comcast. 

Official Employee

Hello @HateLies. We apologize for your recent experience. That's not the experience we want for you. I'd like to review your account options with you to see how we can get you into a package that is if not the same, than similar to the offer you were quoted. If you'd like the review, please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can assist you.