Community Forum

Re: Internet Speeds Throttled

New Poster

Comcast has already started throttling data from Directv Now, and maybe other sites. This started about 2 weeks ago. Netflix and Amazon Video still work fine, but they are intentionally slowing Directv Now streams. I have buffering and picture quality issues when streaming DTVN to the point it gets frustrating to watch. However, when I hook my Amazon Fire stick up to my VPN the Directv Now issues completely vanish! Excellent picture and no buffering every 3 minutes. SHAME ON YOU COMCAST! I have a feeling when the net neutrality laws are officially gone, Comcast internet service is going to be a nightmare!
New Poster

I wish I had another choice for internet but Comcast is my only choice. Yes they are taking Direct Tv down when I try to cast to the TV. Comcast is the worst. 

Expert

No. Comcast is not throttling anything, nor do they have any intentions of doing so. Your issue has nothing to do with net neutrality.  "It works better with a VPN" is a red herring. You would start diagnosing the issue by tracing the route to your DTV server(s).

I am not an employee.
New Poster

I apprechate your effort to back them up but I dont believe a blind statement saying "they are not".  I am typing this as I watch this happen to my stream.  Worked perfectly for months and nothing has changed.  Ill have to do VPN soon or move to another service. 

New Poster

I have the same problem. Just started in the begining of December after congress changed the laws. Comcast came out and tested everything and said i am good. So I ran an hour long speed test and it IS being throttled. Mbps ranges from .34 to 5 to 65 in a fluctuating pattern so it doesnt effect browsing but it does effect streaming video. It ironically it happens during prime time from 7pm to 10pm, After that it seems ok. Comcast denys it and trief to blame the lines on the street but the proof is in the speed tests.
New Poster

Use a VPN. It seems to solve the problem, or at least substantially reduce it for now. 

New Poster

nerdburg wrote:

No. Comcast is not throttling anything, nor do they have any intentions of doing so. Your issue has nothing to do with net neutrality.  "It works better with a VPN" is a red herring. You would start diagnosing the issue by tracing the route to your DTV server(s).

Ok I changed from Comcast cable TV to DirectTVNOW and kept Comcast internet. For 2 weeks I had both Comcast cable TV and DirectTVNOW to evaluate both to see if one was better than the other, both were at about the same performance level and I had no issues with buffering or freezing. I have Apple TV in my living room and Amazon Fire Stick in my bedroom. The Apple TV is connected via LAN line and the Fire Stick is WiFi. I decided to change to DirectTVNOW only because it was cheaper. As soon as I disconnected my Comcast cable TV and returned the cable boxes I began having buffering and freezing issues with my direct TV. I still had bad buffering and freezing after going to the highest internet plan provided by Comcast and started renting the Comcast New modem. Admittedly the Fire stick has much less buffering and freezing issues than the Apple TV probably the VPN issue. Now logically when the only variable that has changed is the removal of the Comcast boxes and turning off the Comcast cable TV it points to Comcast throttling down DirectTVNOW. Especially after roumers of Netflix paying Comcast not to Throttle them down and my Netflix streaming is fine and Internet surfing is even faster after switching to the faster internet plan and modem. Could someone explain to me how this has nothing to do with the changes to the Net Neutrality law? By the way when I was returning the boxes the sales associat at Comcast suggested that I keep just the basic cable service. Why would he say that? In any case I will be paying the $80 for a technician to come out to address the issue. If they can't fix it then I will be convinced there is a "throttling" issue and be forced to change providers. 

Thank you for reading.

New Poster

Carl187 wrote:

nerdburg wrote:

Ok I changed from Comcast cable TV to DirectTVNOW and kept Comcast internet. For 2 weeks I had both Comcast cable TV and DirectTVNOW to evaluate both to see if one was better than the other, both were at about the same performance level and I had no issues with buffering or freezing. I have Apple TV in my living room and Amazon Fire Stick in my bedroom. The Apple TV is connected via LAN line and the Fire Stick is WiFi. I decided to change to DirectTVNOW only because it was cheaper. As soon as I disconnected my Comcast cable TV and returned the cable boxes I began having buffering and freezing issues with my direct TV. I still had bad buffering and freezing after going to the highest internet plan provided by Comcast and started renting the Comcast New modem. Admittedly the Fire stick has much less buffering and freezing issues than the Apple TV probably the VPN issue. Now logically when the only variable that has changed is the removal of the Comcast boxes and turning off the Comcast cable TV it points to Comcast throttling down DirectTVNOW. Especially after roumers of Netflix paying Comcast not to Throttle them down and my Netflix streaming is fine and Internet surfing is even faster after switching to the faster internet plan and modem. Could someone explain to me how this has nothing to do with the changes to the Net Neutrality law? By the way when I was returning the boxes the sales associat at Comcast suggested that I keep just the basic cable service. Why would he say that? In any case I will be paying the $80 for a technician to come out to address the issue. If they can't fix it then I will be convinced there is a "throttling" issue and be forced to change providers. 

Thank you for reading.

This is exactly like my problem. I had no streaming issues with DirecTV NOW until I cancelled my cable tv package, returned the boxes, and just kept Comcast interent. I have had no less than two service techs to my house, replaced the cable line from my house to the pole, have upgraded/replaced modems three times, and still have the problems with buffering when using DirecTV NOW. Using a VPN does help and makes buffering almost nonexsistant with DirecTV NOW. I have never had a buffering issue with Netflex or Amazon Prime. My cable internet speed test around 150mps. Sunday night is the worst. Between the hours of 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. on Sundays, I have to do a cable reset, reboot my Fire TVs (one is WIFI the other is wired), and sometimes completely uninstall and reinstall the DirecTV app for things to work. But, I also notice other devices failing during this time, such as phones and computer. Like I said, the use of a VPN to stream DirecTV NOW basically eliminates the problem, for now anyway. It's a headache, for sure. 

New Poster

Well let's wait and see what nerdburg says about this.

Expert

Carl187 wrote:

Well let's wait and see what nerdburg says about this.

LOL. I'm only here to help. I'm not a Comcast employee, I have no dog in this fight. I'm just telling you and everyone that Comcast IS NOT THROTTLING YOU. There may be an issue with your ISP, but it isn't active throttling. The way to diagnose the issue would be to start with a trace, like I said before.... and which no one has actually done. 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/m-p/125...

I am not an employee.
New Poster

It does seem Comcast is doing something here. I go between two places, one with Comcast, the other with Spectrum. The Comcast has the faster advertised speeds. I have no problems streaming Amazon Prime or Netflix, or other services with the exeption of DirecTV Now on the Comcast connection. It has recently gotten worse. Spectrum at my other house has no problems with DirecTV now. Comcast actually makes Spectrum look like superstars which I never thought I’d say. I have the option of other ISPs but I don’t know if it is worth switching as I will only have the apartment for 5 more months. Even my Verizon mobile service streams better than Comcast. If they aren’t throttleing it, are they redirecting the traffic around the US or world? Something is clearly not right. They may lose me as a customer if they don’t resolve it. 

New Poster

Hello Carl187,

I am creating a university piece describing the issues with net neutrality and potential unfair circumstances that you are describing in your post. Would you be willing to find a way to document your findings after you evaluated those streaming services you have used? Your help will really go towards fully understanding the situation at hand with the changing internet market and make a push towards getting your voice and others heard. 

Thanks for the consideration.

-Trent

New Poster

Hello OLE3,

Like I messaged to Carl187 in this thread, I am creating a university piece that describes the issues following net neutrality, potential unfair circumstances, and other general issues stemming from poor internet infrastructure. Would you be willing to find some way to document your issues that you have found with screenshots or before/after speedtests during certain hours? Your help would go towards better understanding the changing internet market and give your voice a place to be heard. If this is an issue that you would truly like to change then your participation would be greatly appreciated and worthwhile.

Thanks for the consideration.

-Trent

New Poster

Issue just started last week with Amazon video and Netflix.
Routing traffic via vpn confirms the issue.

This is becoming extremely frustrating and with only one option in terms of ISP providers.