Community Forum

Re: Ethernet ports stop working

Regular Visitor

This is my second Modem to have this issue.  I've had it for 6 months or so.  I've been having the LAN/ethernet problem about three times per day for the last month and resolved by restarting the modem multiple times per day.  Today even that will not work.  If I can get it to connect it only last a few minutes before the all go out again.  Wifi works but not my LAN.   I'm really getting tired of this.  

Official Employee

Hi lfiorani, have you had a tech come out and look into your modem issue? Where do you store your modem? This sounds like a hardware issue which we can get resolved by replacing your equipment, if you need a replacement I can send one out to you via mail or I can have a tech come out and swap yours out. Please let me know how you would like to proceed. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

I took  my modem to the Xfinity Store and exchanged it for a new one last week.   It's been 6 days now and the new modem seems to have solved my issue.  Not had a drop of LAN yet.   

Official Employee

That's great to hear lfiorani, and thank you for this update. If you need any further help going forward please reach out to us, we are always here to assist. Have a great day. 

New Poster

Yeah, I've been having the same problem. We just recently switched to Xfinity & had a modem hooked up, but atleast 2-3 times a day all the LEDs on the 4 Ethernet Ports all shine Green & Orange, completely stopping Wi-Fi & Internet (We keep ours in Bridge Mode).
Its honestly dissapointing.
Regular Visitor

I would recommend either going to the store or calling and having them ship you a new Modem.  I've been a Comcast customer for many years and the Modems tend to go bad frequently.   Two modems in six months.  First one it was the Wi-Fi that would went out, second one it was the Ethernet Ports.  So I'm on my third Modem in less than a year. 

New Poster

That's crazy... after switching from Verizon, where we had a 5+ year old Modem, maybe more, that only recently gave us trouble & even then it still gave us internet (albeit very slow internet)
Yeah, I guess that's our best option, but its shameful that their modems go down so easily.
New Poster

We have also been having a problem with the ethernet ports since getting a new Cisco router. It is absurd that I have spent well over 10 hours in the past two weeks trying to resolve this issue. As recommended by the last Comcast person I spoke to, we’re going to exchange routers as soon as I can get to a store. But, from everything I’ve read on the internet, I’m worried that this is not going to resolve the problem, since it seems to be a crapshoot whether the new router is going to work any better.