Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Re: Comcast blocking and throttling certain websites starting today

New Poster

Got the nasty surprise late last night.  After watching a program via Comcast cable I wished to download it to keep in an external HD just for myself.  I barely receive enough money from social security to live on, can't afford to pay more for cable TV or the Internet, can't afford the new laptop I've needed for years although my technosaur is so far still servicable, and I can't afford to buy DVD sets at the end of the season for my favourite shows - it would cost me hundreds of dollars.  Keeping copies for myself harms no one and without doing so I would simply have another pleasure / necessity in this society that I am denied for lack of money.  I am, at 67, denied enough already.  So the program was over on TV and I went to my usual site only to find it blocked when I went out on Google Chrome to retrieve my copy for myself alone. Ticked me off.  I'm already paying more than I can afford for cable TV and the Internet.  And if I am not allowed to access websites, perhaps I may as well get off the Internet altogether and stop paying for a service I am denied.  It feels like the few things that I enjoy are being held hostage for ransom.  VPN? I looked into that last night but that entails yet another monthly fee!  I am hardly made of money.  Anyway, at first I thought it might be Google blocking the site then I realized this morning that it could be Comcast, with whom I have had billing problems that was leading me to a heart attack, and that's even worse. When I was first dragged out into cyberspace by friends who even provided me with my first computer as a gift, operating with Windows 3.11, the Internet was wonderful.  For instance, I was being harassed and threatened by some lunatic via e-mail whom I never met and did not know.  I simply went out on the net and found his name, e-mail address, home address, etc., and wished him a Merry Christmas revealing that he was now no longer anonymous and that ended it.  I never heard from the lunatic again.  Now...just try to get even a published telephone number from the Internet without incurring an additional fee!

So what is Comcast (or is it Google?) doing, anyway?  The usefulness of the Internet is lessening every day and if you have to pay just to get out on the Internet and then you have to pay fees for every bloody thing you do on the Net, however harmless and costless it is to others, the Internet could eventually become a desert that only the wealthy few can afford. 

Expert

Comcast is no throttling or blocking websites. What site(s) are you having trouble reaching? 

"Keepin' it clean since '09"
I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator.
New Poster

It was a site that one can DL current TV show episodes if you missed one.  Can’t watch shows online.  My technosaur is too slow.  Anyway, after posting I read here that it was a temporary Comcast performance problem that was fixed, and sure enough I was able to get into the site again.  Whew!  I hate all the increasing Internet restrictions.  Meanwhile there seems to be nothing restricting any lunatic from buying military grade weapons to kill as many innocent people as possible in the shortest period of time just because he was annoyed by, well, maybe his ISP! 

Bending the the law to watch a TV program one is already paying for seems to be a more horrendous crime against society than shooting up a church full of people with an assault rifle. What’s this society coming too?

Sorry. You asked a simple question and I should have just said “Thanks for your question, but the problem has been explained and fixed.”  There is this soapbox that keeps slipping under my feet.