Community Forum

Property damaged from blown Comcast line

Regular Visitor

Property damaged from blown Comcast line

This morning there was a bad storm by our house and our property was struck by lightning. This strike hit the comcast cable line outside our home blowing the wire but then also snaked through our home blowing three of our televisions and every device which was plugged into them. later this afternnoon a comcast tech came to our house after noticing our service was out and replaced the cable pointing out where the cable blew and where it blew the fuse before reaching the splitter for our home. The technician stated that this should have stopped the surge but it did not causing irriversable damage to all our tv's and devices. I was wondering if there is anything that can be done about this and if there was any way we can get an answer as to why the surge was not stopped before reaching the house.

Valued Contributor

Re: Property damaged from blown Comcast line

If your service is properly grounded, then Comcast will not be responsible for it. The tech should have been able to determine this.. You need to have a damage claim submitted, and a rep will come out to investigate from there. You can wait til a corp rep on here picks it up, or you can call in and ask to put in a damage claim.
Regular Visitor

Thank you for the input.  I tried to call customer support regarding filing a claim.  However, calling the general customer support is useless because you can never get anyone on the phone who can acutally answer your questions.  

Valued Contributor

I hear this too often, when really, it is on the customer calling in. I NEVER have trouble reaching a rep, and if I am articulate and explain what it is that I want/need, they get me where I need to be if I am not there.
Expert

Hi @cole1202,

Comcast is probably not going to reimburse you for this, it's considered an "Act of God". You can certainly file a damage claim, but unless Comcast failed to install your wiring properly, their insurance will deny your claim. Your best bet is to file with your homeowner's/renter's insurance. 

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hello cole1202. I can assist with getting a damage claim ticket submitted, if you have not done so yet. To get started, please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can access your account. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!