Community Forum

Property Damage Claim

Regular Visitor

Property Damage Claim

On March 2 a severe wind storm caused my power and cable to go out.  The power was restored two days later.  On the third day a Comcast technician showed up but said he couldn’t restore my service until work was completed at the utility pole down the street. In the mean time I connected my TVs to indoor antennas.  My 48” TV was dead; it would not even turn on.  Finally on March 15 a technician showed up.  He worked for several hours, replacing the wiring from the pole to the house and most of the cable boxes including the main box connected to the dead TV.  When asked he said that the same issue that killed the cable boxes probably killed the TV and to file a claim with Comcast for the value of the TV.  And the work he did was terrible, 20’ of extra wire is on the ground next to my house along with the cable connections which are hanging free away from the house. 

The next day I called Comcast to file a claim for the TV as well as the suspended service.  The person I spoke to said that he would investigate the issue.  The next day he called me back and said that he spoke to the technician that did the repair who said that the system had been properly grounded so Comcast is not at fault for the TV damage.  I asked how can it be possible that the Comcast boxes were destroyed if the system was grounded and that grounding is sufficient to protect the electronics it is connected to.  He had no answer.  He said that I needed to prove that the Comcast connection caused the failure.  I believe the failure of the cable boxes is sufficient evidence and that I should not have to haul the TV to a repairman and pay him to tell me that the cable connection killed the TV, Comcast has already proven that. 

And my account has never been credited for the 42% of one month during which I had no Comcast service. 

Official Employee

Re: Property Damage Claim

Hello PaulWienhold. Sorry to learn about your damaged equipment. It sounds like an electrical power surge may have fried your electronics. I can't say who is responsible for the damages, but I can assist with opening a corporate damage claim, and get this over to the department who can make a final determination for you. To get started, please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can access your account.