Community Forum

Porting Phone Number - Rate Centers - Misled

Regular Visitor

Porting Phone Number - Rate Centers - Misled

Hello - I was a long-time Verizon Fios customer who recently moved and switched providers to Xfinity and so far am very disappointed. I am hoping someone sees this that can address our issues. Prior to our move, my husband contacted Comcast to find out whether or not we would be able to port over two long-time phone numbers from our old home to our new home. We were told it would be no problem. Now that we are in the new house, we were told we could not port these numbers to Xfinity residential because they are in a different rate center. However, we could port them to a Comcast Business account. After wasting many hours on the phone, this seems to have no resolution. We have these two numbers and they ring into our current home, but we are told they cannot be moved to our Xfinity residential account. This forces us to have both a Comcat Business account and an Xfinity account, which means we are unable to purschase or take advantage of any of the bundling savings (ie, Triple Play) through Xfinity, driving up our monthly costs. In addition, because we have to get internet through Comcast Business we can't use Apps like Netflix through our cable because the way Xfinity is designed it only allows use of those Apps if you have Xfinity cable. We also can't bundle through Comcast Business because they don't allow cable contracts to residential addresses. Does no one at the company see how ridicuslous this is? These phone numbers already ring to our address. Why can't we just have them on our residential account? (Also, we do not want different phone numbers). 

I am, at this point, livid with this company (and this is without touching on how awful [AWFUL] the internet reception is. The FCC simply states that companies are not REQUIRED to port numbers in different rate centers, but it does not say that they CANNOT. Rate centers were developed to know where to charge for local vs. long distance calls but that is not even how we are charged anymore so what difference does it make. I want someone at Xfinity to agree to move these phone numbers to our residential account. I will not be satisfied until someone can do this for me. We have been Xfinity customers for only a few months and can promise you that if this is not resolved, as soon as we are able we will be switching back to Verizon. 

Thanks!

Regular Visitor

Re: Porting Phone Number - Rate Centers - Misled

Is there a mailing address where complaints can be sent? I thought this forum would be more direct, but if no one responds, it is pointless.

Official Employee

Re: Porting Phone Number - Rate Centers - Misled

Hello PELKL. We're sorry you feel that way about our Xfinity Voice Phone Number Porting Requirement Policy. It is true that telephone numbers are not portable across rate center boundaries.

• When we port in a telephone number from another carrier, we must verify the phone number Rate Center and verify it matches the same Rate Center of your home address.

If you need further assistance with verifying your telephone number rate center and the rate center for your address, I can assist further. If so, Please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can assist you.