Community Forum

Phone call from Xfinity?

Regular Visitor

Phone call from Xfinity?

On Thursday, March 8, I received a call from what appeared to be Xfinity.  They asked me a few questions and then offered my package to me at a new rate of $199 which is slightly less than what I'm paying.  I 'confirmed' my address and my email but when asked me to "confirm" the last 4 of my social security number, I balked and refused to divulge that information.  The person on the other end stated that she was from an authorized 3rd party (which may be true) but I'm not giving out my personal info to someone I didn't contact myself.  I declined, hung up, and then called Xfinity to let them know what happened.  I reported the calling phone number to Xfinity. I was told by the rep that he needs to speak to his supervisor who was in a meeting until 2:30 but they will call be back shortly after that.  It is now Monday and no follow-up.  Today I received some direct mail marketing from Xfinity telling me to call some phone number to have a free account review. After my experience on the phone, I was skeptical.  Instead, I called Xfinity retention today and reiterated the Thursday story.  They said that the $199 rate isn't valid and sorry for my inconvenience.    At this point, I don't know who or what to believe.  Was it a valid 3rd party?  Why does a 3rd party want personal info? Is the mail piece valid?  What is true?  Am I getting the best rate?  Up until now, I was generally satisfied with my service (except FIOS channel lineup is far superior to Comcast in my opinion). 

Expert

Re: Phone call from Xfinity?

Yes, there are third parties that are authorized agents of Comcast. They do make sales calls. They often have different deals then what's available directly from Comcast. I'm with you though, I don't give my personal info out over the phone. 

You can opt out of Comcast solicitations here: https://pc2.mypreferences.com/Comcast/OptOut/Default.aspx 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Regular Visitor

Ok....that helps but here's the dilemma....I received a nice offer from the 3rd party.  I wouldn't give out my personal info so I was told to call Comcast directly.  When I did, Comcast wouldn't give me the offer.  

Is there a way that I can take advantage of the offer given?    

Expert

@haleyjosr wrote:

Is there a way that I can take advantage of the offer given?    

Not through Comcast directly. You would have to order through the authorized reseller. They need you to verify that you are the account holder which is why they ask for the last four of your SS#. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.