Community Forum

Peacock Misinformation and the Word OR

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Peacock Misinformation and the Word OR

Thanks for pulling my post down that proved the comments from CC people were incorrect.  The app is an app and the internet is needed to get it  But I got the app on my Sony TVs through my ATT internet provider.  

AND it says X1 internet OR Digital Starter is needed to get the premium Peacock service for free.

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Peacock Misinformation and the Word OR

An Official Employee already responded and with X1 platform, you need Comcast Internet service to use any Internet apps on the X1 boxes. This has been the way for the entire time the X1 platform has been around, it’s nothing new. Your previous post wasn’t removed, it was merged with the thread from the last time you posted about the same thing and were given correct information. You can go on and on but nothing will change
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/peacock-app-overview

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Kindy understand, my Sony TVs are able to download the Peacock app from the Google store.  I have Peacock working using the data plan I have with my AT&T internet provider. I still have Comcast for cable TV and pay about $80/mo for 2 DVRs, two digital adapters, and a lot of premium channels.

My intial question regarded Peacock before the app launch,  but then went on to state the above and question why all the Comcast/Xfinity ads, onlilne, on TV and in the papers say :

"Service not available without Xfinity Internet OR subscription to Digital Starter TV, or equivalent, or above.   GET PEACOCK PREMIUM WITH X1 AT NO EXTRA COST."

They also say IF YOU HAVE X1 SERVICE YOU'RE ENTITLED TO GET PREMIUM AT NO MONTHLY COST.  

I still believe with this offer, I should be getting the Peacock Premium for having the Cable TV portion of the offer requirements.  Thank you.

Highlighted
Expert

@LeeSoFL wrote:

Kindy understand, my Sony TVs are able to download the Peacock app from the Google store.  I have Peacock working using the data plan I have with my AT&T internet provider. I still have Comcast for cable TV and pay about $80/mo for 2 DVRs, two digital adapters, and a lot of premium channels.

My intial question regarded Peacock before the app launch,  but then went on to state the above and question why all the Comcast/Xfinity ads, onlilne, on TV and in the papers say :

"Service not available without Xfinity Internet OR subscription to Digital Starter TV, or equivalent, or above.   GET PEACOCK PREMIUM WITH X1 AT NO EXTRA COST."

They also say IF YOU HAVE X1 SERVICE YOU'RE ENTITLED TO GET PREMIUM AT NO MONTHLY COST.  

I still believe with this offer, I should be getting the Peacock Premium for having the Cable TV portion of the offer requirements.  Thank you.

I sounds like you are in the same boat as me. We have the old standard version of cable television, using a (non-X1) cable box like my Cisco RNG150N. I have DLS since it first came out for broadband. Comcast is moving into streaming video,and traditional cable may be going the way of a dinosaur.

Andrew is correct. No one can use the new streaming apps unless they sign up for Comcast Internet. All X1 equipment uses proprietary coding to block using a competitor's equipment. They all play the same game. That leaves me out since I don't want, or need their Internet, and can get all the 4K, HDR, programing I wish elseware. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Not true about accessing Peacock.  All my Sony televisions downloaded the app from the Google Store and I'm able to get the service using my ATT Internet.  Also, I have an X1 box (xg1-v4) but that has nothing to do with watching Peacock.  I can even watch the basic Peacock on my iPhone.

What I'm disputing is the wording of who gets Premium Peacock, and they've repeatedly published and advertised that, saying:

IF YOU HAVE X1 SERVICE YOU'RE ENTITLED TO GET PREMIUM AT NO MONTHLY COST. 

Service not available without Xfinity Internet OR subscription to Digital Starter TV, or equivalent, or above.

GET PEACOCK PREMIUM WITH X1 AT NO EXTRA COST.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

CCAndrew, you wrote :  "you need Comcast Internet service to use any Internet apps on the X1 boxes. This has been the way for the entire time the X1 platform has been around, it’s nothing new."

That is not what I'm discussing so having anyone's internet gets you the Peacock App.  Forget the X1 boxes for this app, I got the app and it works on my TVs.  I have Comcast X1 Cable Service, two DVR's and that should entitle me to Premium Peacock.  Read what I'm saying and stop talking about using an internet app on the X1 boxes.  I've got apps coming out of my ears and they're all on the Sony TV, and work fine as long as I have an ISP.  

Highlighted
Expert

LeeSoFl:

The "Peacock" app (used to be old "NBC" app) and found on your Sony smart tv is not the exact same app found on Comcast X1 equipment. Sony may have a separate contract with NBC for a version of the app.

The ad for premium version is for Comcast Internet customers using the Comcast app. Sony may not yet have access to that version. So far I find nothing for my Samsung smart tv. ☹️

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the insight MNtundraRet - I'll have to see the official X1 app at a friends house compared to the Peacock I'm seeing from the internet. 

Comcast's wording for the service requirements remains wonky at best.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi @LeeSoFL

We appreciate you for sharing your experience here on the Forums. The information communicated on this thread by CCAndrew is correct. Since you are using the app on your Sony TV and are not an Xfinity Internet subscriber, you will not have access to Peacock Premium programming.

You can find more details here, https://comca.st/2OUdaOW. At the bottom of this page, it states "Customers of participating providers may be eligible for full access to Peacock Premium at no additional cost. Choose your provider to learn more."

If you have Xfinity Internet and X1 or Flex, you get Peacock premium free. You can see this information listed here: https://comca.st/3f6g7GO, where it states "Peacock Premium is included for no additional cost for all Xfinity Flex customers and Xfinity X1 and video customers who have a subscription to Xfinity Internet or Digital Starter TV, or equivalent, or above. Peacock Premium has a $4.99/month value." 

If you wish to access Peacock Premium for free, your services will need to be upgraded. If you'd like to discuss your options for internet and Xfinity Flex, or X1, I'd be happy to chat in a private message. To get started, please send me a private message with your first and last name and the street numbers associated with your address. To send a private message, click on "ComcastChe" and then click send a message. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

"no additional cost for all Xfinity Flex customers and Xfinity X1 and video customers who have a subscription to Xfinity Internet OR Digital Starter TV, or equivalent, or above."

OR - OR - OR

What service do I have that I'm paying $130 bucks a month for?  And then there's a link for Cox and Xfiniti customers to jump on the offer.  

I sent you a PM about our community of 1800 homes, you might want to read that.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@LeeSoFL,  

The word or in the sentence you provided here is referring to the cable packages often referred to as X1 channel lineups "Starter, Starter Pro, Extra, Preferred Pro," etc. They vary depending on the area you live in, or Xfinity Internet because you only need the internet to get Xfinity Flex

As for Peacock Premium, you'll need:

• A compatible X1 TV Box (RNG150s and Pace XG1v1s not supported) as part of your Xfinity TV service, or a Compatible Flex Streaming TV Box with Xfinity Flex service.
  • Xfinity Internet service (any level).
  • A subscription to the app you wish to use. 

The information you mentioned about Cox customers is only to inform non Xfinity customers the details of what is included in their plans; the same would apply for ATT being your internet provider.

With Xfinity Internet, "Peacock Premium is included for no additional cost for all Xfinity Flex customers and Xfinity X1 and video customers who have a subscription to Xfinity Internet or (X1) Digital Starter TV, or equivalent, or above. Peacock Premium has a $4.99/month value." 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Contributor

@ComcastChe Xfinity's own FAQs support article differs from what you've stated. I have Xfinity TV only with Digital Starter and based on the wording in the FAQs here I should have access to Peacock Premium on my mobile phone, tablet, or pc, but I don't, and I can't get a straight answer about why. If Xfinity Internet is required, then it should clearly state that Xfinity Internet is a pre-requisite for ALL access levels, and it does not.

How much does Peacock cost?
Current customers have Peacock Premium (a $4.99 value) bundled at no additional cost if you have:

• Xfinity TV service and Xfinity Internet
  • Xfinity Flex with your Xfinity Internet
  • Xfinity TV-only (Digital Starter tier and above) on third-party devices such as mobile phones, tablets and PCs
  • Xfinity Internet-only with Flex
    • Add a Flex device to your account at no additional cost to start using the app.