Community Forum

PPC device in outside cable box not properly grounded

Frequent Visitor

PPC device in outside cable box not properly grounded

Several pieces of equipment, (55 inch Samsung TV, NetGear R6300 wireless router, and 2 HD set top boxes) were damaged at my house on 7/3/2018 due to a power surge.  On inspection I noted that Comcast had not grounded their PPC device outside my house, the ground was there they just failed to connect it.  So instead of shunting the surge to ground, it allowed it to travel to the equipment inside my house.  I have opened several tickets with Comcast.  When I called back on the first 2 tickets I was told that their representatives had filled them out incorrectly and a new ticket would need to be created.  The latest ticket, (#3) is 046841923.  It was created so that they could send out an auditor/supervisor.  This has been going on for 2 weeks now.  I would just like to hear from the person that has supposedly been assigned my case and have some idea when they plan on coming by my house to access the damage and issue some form of compensation.

Rick

Official Employee

Re: PPC device in outside cable box not properly grounded

I'm truly sorry for the frustration. Please click on my name and choose the option to send a private message. Once selected, please shoot over your full name, service address, and the phone number listed on the account. I'll be happy to assist with this damage concern.

Silver Problem Solver

Also keep in mind that grounding and surge protection are two completely different things. You are responsible for surge protection. 

Frequent Visitor

JosephK,

I would like to reply and send you a private message, but it will not allow me to due to the fact that I am a new forum user.   If you can work around this is, that would be great.  Let me know.  Thanks.

Administrator
Private Messaging

Due to the influx of unsolicited private messages to our Official Employees, private messaging has been disabled for new forum users.

Official Employee

Thanks for the heads up. I'm looking into this messaging limitation right now. I'll touch base with you in a bit once I know if there's a way to get around the issue.

Official Employee

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this. It looks like everything is now setup with the right permissions. Can you please try to send a private message one more time?

Frequent Visitor

Just to give anyone that is interested an update.  I have heard back from 2 Comcast employees via this forum, but have yet to get a phone call from anyone that can help me move this forward.  As I mentioned before my lose occured on 7/3/2018 and I have been told numerous times a supervisor or adjuster would be calling me to set up a time to come by my house to access the damage.  This has not happened, all I hear are crickets.  This lack of follow through is one of the main reasons that Comcast's customer service has such an overall poor rating.   Hopefully,  I will hear from someone in the not too distant future and get this resolved.

Rick

Silver Problem Solver

I tried to tell you that Comcast will not just agree to pay you for a surge protection issue. They may well argue that they are not responsible, or just ignore you. 

Frequent Visitor

Barbie you seem to be missing the point.  I have surge protection on all of my equipment- AC protection though not coaxial.  This damage occured because the Comcast PPC device, (which is the device that the main coaxial cable plugs into and is then amplified), was not grounded.  The ground was there, Comcast just didn't connect it.  This allowed a surge to pass through the PPC device , (via the coaxial cable) and take out my TV, 2 HD set top boxes, and my wireless router.  If it was properly grounded the surge would have been shunted to ground. 

Silver Problem Solver

That is where I think you are wrong. Grounding does not redirect a surge. Grounding serves a different purpose, though your system should have been properly grounded. 

Even properly grounded, you may still get blown out by a surge.

Expert

@Rick1980 wrote:

This damage occured because the Comcast PPC device, (which is the device that the main coaxial cable plugs into and is then amplified), was not grounded. 

This is an amplifier, it does not need a ground connection to meet electrical code.

The ground was there, Comcast just didn't connect it.  This allowed a surge to pass through the PPC device , (via the coaxial cable) and take out my TV, 2 HD set top boxes, and my wireless router.  If it was properly grounded the surge would have been shunted to ground. 

The only ground wire you will find in a coax system is where the main line enters your home. This is not technically a ground, but rather a bond. The bond equalizes the electrical potential between your home's electrical system and the coax system. This is why it's connect to your home's electrical system in some way rather than having its own earth ground. Even a properly bonded coax instalation will not prevent damage from power surges, that is not its purpose. 

Unless the Comcast supervisor finds a significant defect in the instalation of the coax, it's unlikely that Comcast's insurer will reimburse you for the damaged items. Smiley Sad Your best bet is probably to file a claim with your renter's/homeowner's insurance.

We're pulling for ya'! Keep us updated please. 

The Forums stick this horrible banner after all my posts automatically. I'm sorry.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the input Expert.  I for one am by no means an expert, (but I have talked to several cable installers and have used my friend Google),  everything I have been told by the cable intallers and read on line points to the fact that it is against the law and a hazard not to have the Entry series PPC device  grounded.  It even tells you in the installation manual for the Entry series PPC to ground it.  I will keep you posted and let you know how it all turns out.

Frequent Visitor

Just wanted to let everyone know that Comcast processed my claim and turned it over to their insurance company.  They are cutting me a check and I should have it within 5 business days.  I have to give Comcast credit for following through.  The process was slow to start, but once someone at Comcast called me back they worked quickly to resolve my issue.  Great job guys!  I know you mainly hear a lot of negativity, but this time Comcast definitely got it right.  Much appreciated.

Admin1

Rick1980 -- Thanks for letting us know that this has been resolved! We appreciate your kind words.