Community Forum

Old Router for New Service?

New Poster

Old Router for New Service?

Hello! So here's the situation:

I have a roommate who's moved out, but the account holder is him. I could go through the process of changing the account holder which requires getting a paper notarized, but it's sort of hard to get this done with him. Since I will still have the router, is it possible and would it just be easier to cancel the current service, and then make a new account? Can I use the same router if that is done? I wanted to change the service anyways, as I will have no use for the television part that we've been paying for and I haven't used once.

Pardon me if this is a dumb question, I didn't set up the account and I honestly don't know exactly how Xfinity works, if this is plausible or not.

Thank you in advance!

Expert

Re: Old Router for New Service?

Hi @obscurial13,

Take the equipment to your local office (https://www.xfinity.com/support/service-center-locations/) and tell the rep that your roomie moved out and left the equipment behind. You may need a copy of your lease and ID to establish new service. You should then be eligible for new customer deals -- which are the best deals available. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: Old Router for New Service?

Hi obscurial13. As nerdburg stated, the easiest way is for you change the account into your name, is to visit the Comcast / Xfinity Store to have the old account closed, and you can get a new offer applied to your account, with new equipment. If needed, I can assist with going over the account options to downgrade your service, if you are authorized on the account. Please send me a private message and include your full name and account primary phone number so I can assist you. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!