Community Forum

Old Router for New Service?

New Poster

Old Router for New Service?

Hello! So here's the situation:


I have a roommate who's moved out, but the account holder is him. I could go through the process of changing the account holder which requires getting a paper notarized, but it's sort of hard to get this done with him. Since I will still have the router, is it possible and would it just be easier to cancel the current service, and then make a new account? Can I use the same router if that is done? I wanted to change the service anyways, as I will have no use for the television part that we've been paying for and I haven't used once.


Pardon me if this is a dumb question, I didn't set up the account and I honestly don't know exactly how Xfinity works, if this is plausible or not.


Thank you in advance!


Re: Old Router for New Service?

Hi @obscurial13,

Take the equipment to your local office ( and tell the rep that your roomie moved out and left the equipment behind. You may need a copy of your lease and ID to establish new service. You should then be eligible for new customer deals -- which are the best deals available. 

I am not an employee.
Official Employee

Re: Old Router for New Service?

Hi obscurial13. As nerdburg stated, the easiest way is for you change the account into your name, is to visit the Comcast / Xfinity Store to have the old account closed, and you can get a new offer applied to your account, with new equipment. If needed, I can assist with going over the account options to downgrade your service, if you are authorized on the account. Please send me a private message and include your full name and account primary phone number so I can assist you.