Community Forum

Not receiving speed of paid internet tier even after paying for higher tier and upgrading cable mode

Regular Visitor

Not receiving speed of paid internet tier even after paying for higher tier and upgrading cable mode

I have never been able to reach more than 80 mbps per dslreports speedtest or speedtest.net when I was on the blast internet which was for 100 mbps.

Several months ago I upgraded for $10 extra per month which was supposed to take me from 100 to 150. However my speeds did not increase. I also bought a new cable modem that has more downstream channels (Arris SB6183 with 16 downstream channels) to make sure that wasn't the culprit, but I still cannot reach more than 80.

On top of that, during this holiday season, my speeds dropped down to between 40 and 25 mbps!

If I am not going to get any more speed for that extra $10 a month then I would like a credit and to have the charge dropped from future bills. Also can my provisioning be checked to make sure I'm not being throttled to a speed different from what I'm paying for?

New Poster

Re: Not receiving speed of paid internet tier even after paying for higher tier and upgrading cable

I had the same problem a few months ago and this is how I fixed it. If you have a Smart Wi-Fi router like Linksys, make you sure you're using the 5 GHz band instead of the 2.4 GHz and also you may wanna play with channels and channel width, apply each one and then check the speed each time until you get the maximum speed. Once you're able to get around 150 mbps, make sure you remember that channel number and width in case you reset your router at a later time. Speedtest.net may be a good website to test your speed. Hope it helps.

Regular Visitor

Re: Not receiving speed of paid internet tier even after paying for higher tier and upgrading cable

Thank you for the advice for WiFi, but my tests were all run over ethernet with 1 GB NICs and Cat5e.

I also overstated how much I was able to get over the holiday - it dropped to 5 and 6 Mbps for a few tests (wow!). It's now testing back up in the ~50 Mbps range. Still nowhere near what I should be getting (or paying, depending on the way you look at it.)

Regular Visitor

How can I get this to the attention of a Comcast employee?

Expert

The trouble section for my Samsung 3D UHD television mentions that you should be using a Cat 7 cable between modem/router and the television, and set up for "wired connection" for best results.

You mentioned using only Cat 5 cable.

Nanani wrote:

Thank you for the advice for WiFi, but my tests were all run over ethernet with 1 GB NICs and Cat5e.

I also overstated how much I was able to get over the holiday - it dropped to 5 and 6 Mbps for a few tests (wow!). It's now testing back up in the ~50 Mbps range. Still nowhere near what I should be getting (or paying, depending on the way you look at it.)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

Yep, I had the same issue.

After talking with the agent in Colombia, Philliapines, and 6 other countries and doing 10 router resets and troubleshooting to no avail.

I Manually reset my Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) settings and Wala!!!

Still can't believe nobody at comcast worldwide never suggested I do this.Ubelievable, beyond belief, hard to believe, unconvincing, far-fetched, implausible, improbable, highly unlikely, dubious, doubtful;

inconceivable, unthinkable, unimaginable, impossible, but not when it comes to Comcast. 
Tech support gets a double thumbs down!