Community Forum

Nonpublished name and number published by mistake

Highlighted
New Poster

Nonpublished name and number published by mistake

I was wondering if any of you got a $100 credit from xfinity for mistakenly publishing your address and phone number on their website? Also refunding $5.50 for the month in which it happened? 

Well I have a problem with it because: 1) although they corrected the problem on the Xfinity website it has been pulled and now is displaying on other websites on the internet: whitepages.com; cyber backgroundchecks, and others. 

2) refunding the $5.50 for the month in which it occurred isn't enough. I should not be charged at all going forward the $5.50 because although i'm not published on Xfinity website since they corrected their error; I'm now published all over the web because of their error. So why am I continuing to pay $5.50 per month for a nonpublished number and address?

I'm very upset about this!!!!!!!!!

Is anyone else experiencing this? <Edited>

Highlighted
Administrator

Re: Nonpublished name and number published by mistake

@godknowsican 

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. In November 2019, we identified an error that caused a limited number of non-published and non-listed Xfinity Voice telephone listings (name, phone number and address) to be unintentionally made available on Ecolisting.com (Comcast’s online directory). The error was corrected immediately upon discovery, and we notified and automatically credited impacted customers.

If you were impacted by this, we sent a letter notifying you of the error in January 2020. At that time, we also posted credits to your account to cover non-published or non-listed charges for one month and credited your account an additional $100. If you have not received the letter already, you should be receiving it by mid-January. The credit will appear on your next bill. The credits are labeled “Non-Pub Error Credit” and Non-Pub Courtesy”

Thank you for identifying your safety concerns. If you need additional assistance we ask that you please contact us at 1-877-213-9812, Mon-Fri 9 AM-9 PM ET.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

I understand that an error took place and Xfinity corrected it. However, the information is now released to other websites and I am no longer unpublished. So I should not be paying Xfinity $5.50 per month going forward for a service that has already be improvised. This fee should be waived from my bill permanently as I am no longer unpublished. I can google and my current address and phone number appears on other websites because of Xfinity's error.

Highlighted
Administrator

@godknowsican wrote:

I understand that an error took place and Xfinity corrected it. However, the information is now released to other websites and I am no longer unpublished. So I should not be paying Xfinity $5.50 per month going forward for a service that has already be improvised. This fee should be waived from my bill permanently as I am no longer unpublished. I can google and my current address and phone number appears on other websites because of Xfinity's error.

@godknowsican 

We apologize again for the inconvenience. If you would like to have the non-published feature removed from your account I will happily do so. All I would need from you is to send me a private message with your full name, your address, and phone number. 

Please note that even though Comcast quickly removed your information from Ecolisting.com, there is a possibility that your information was accessed by visitors to the Ecolisting.com website while it was available. As a result, this information could be available on online directories or through other public sources that Comcast does not control. If your information appears in online directories, such as whitepages.com and yp.com, you may wish to consider contacting those online directories directly. It may also be advisable to change your XFINITY Voice telephone number.

Please also note, that if you contact these online directories to remove your information and we remove the non-published feature from your Xfinity home phone there will be no way for us to prevent those directories from sharing your information on their sites in the future. 

If you wish to change your XFINITY Voice telephone number or have any other questions, please contact us at 1-877-213-9812, which is a special toll-free number dedicated to handling questions and concerns related to this issue. Comcast will provide you with a new telephone number at no charge.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Yes same happened to me started researching this to find out more. They may be liable for much more. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Without going into details on this forum, Xfinity has compromised the safety of myself and my family by publishing my identifying information for others to see.  Simply providing a $100 credit is not good enough considering the mess I am going to have to deal with.  People have the right to be upset considering they were paying for service that was not provided, I suspect that Xfinity is liable.   In addition, I never received any notification from Xfinity that this was an issue.   I plan to file a complaint with the Attorney General's office.  Totally unacceptable and unsafe. 

Highlighted
New Poster

I just received this credit today and I am LIVID.  After reading this thread I immediately went to check on WhitePages.com and yep, there I am!  This situation actually causes me to be unsafe and I have no idea how to get my information removed from these sites at this point!  Xfinity, you need to FIX this, in addition to the credit.  The $100 credit doesn't make it so people can't find me - you need to do something about this.

Highlighted
New Poster

I too just received this credit today, never received any other communication regarding this. I had to google search to even find out why I was receiving this credit.  My information is now all over the internet when it has never been there before.  Xfinity needs to fix this and quickly. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I got the same credit with no letter ever explaining anything, im sooo angry! So let me get this straight. by continuing to pay for the unpublished service you are protecting my number from what, because its all over the internet now and never ever was before.

How do you plan to get the information removed that you leaked that we paid to keep private that now you think you are keeping privatewhile its plastered all over because of you while i continue to pay you?

Because you answered the question doesnt mean its resolved. Theres reasons why i pay for my information to be kept private.

Highlighted
Contributor

I don't see why we should continue to pay Comcast the non published fee when they have compromised our numbers.  It would be fairer for them to charge us nothing extra for their shaky attempt at keeping numbers unpublished.  And $100 is no fair compensation.  Who have they endangered with this carelessness?

I've just submitted a complaint to the Massachusetts Attorney General's office and the local consumer council

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Yes, I too received a letter yesterday. You are right, the information is everywhere now.  I did write a letter to the CEO of Comcast requesting they do more than give me $100 credit on my bill.  The email for the CEO is brian_roberts@comcast.com. I have spent a good part of my day finding many sites that still have my information. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Class action lawsuit? What law firm is going to send me a letter. This is complete violation of privacy especially since I have been paying $5.50 per month for many years!!!!! Still getting calls today so thank you Comcast/Xfinity for giving everyone my number that I paid you to keep private!!
Highlighted
New Poster

$2.50 per month not $5.50. Wondering how comcast thinks this $100 credit will make "if all better"
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Here is a link that will list all the places that your information can be public with your phone number, I have done about 4 of them and yes...all the info was there. It is time-consuming to remove your information, just do it a few at a time. I am also looking into canceling the phone with Comcast and going with something else.  Anyway here is the link for the websites that have all your information    https://www.techlicious.com/tip/remove-yourself-spokeo-intelius-peoplesmart-mylife/ 

write to the CEO of Comcast and complain about the charge of an unpublished phone #, why pay for something that has already been compromised  

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I totally agree with you as well. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

https://www.techlicious.com/tip/remove-yourself-spokeo-intelius-peoplesmart-mylife/

The above link will tell you all the places that your information appears and how to remove it. and yes, I am very upset with this issue, I wrote to the CEO of Comcast, but I doubt if that will give me anything...next step? Ditch Comcast phone services altogether, there is plenty of places to go that are cheaper for landline service.  <Edited>

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Too Bad, Deal with It? How about all of us decrease some revenue from Comcast and find another landline provider...google it, there are many out there much cheaper than the charge Comcast attached to your bill.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I learned a long time ago that people that have done something wrong, hate to have it made public, so I took to writing the Attorney General office of Maryland and also media within that office and Consumer affairs withing that office.  I labeled it a HUGE DATA BREACH.

Highlighted
New Poster

Before people blame comcast/xfinity solely for their information being at any of these data collecting hogs sites, they have to realize how easy it was for these companies to get tidbits of information and put it together with other associated bits of data. Some of mine was from 40 years. Don't get me wrong a breatch is a breatch but I bet there was plenty of info already out there. It is up to us in this age to investagate and respond accordingly. Thank you for the imformation to clean the mess up. Thank you comcast/xfinity for the $100.

Highlighted
New Poster

I did too! There are power in numbers here. I actually had a client find my info this week by searching me. This is insane!
Highlighted
New Poster

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I am upset as well.  I have been visiting all the sites and removing (opt-out) of all of them that show my information.  It is very time-consuming. However, I agree, why should I keep paying the $3.50 charge for my unpublished number when it has been everywhere?  Here is a list of all the places that can have your info, all of them (I have done about 6) so far have my info out there.

https://www.techlicious.com/tip/remove-yourself-spokeo-intelius-peoplesmart-mylife/

Good luck.  I am looking into removing the phone service with Comcast as well, there are alternatives out there just Google it.

Highlighted
New Poster

Thank you for linking this. This clearly isn't an isolated incident from what I've found, theres at least been one in 2014/2015 as well. Comcast thinks they can leak our information, "pay" us a credit worth $100 and be on their way as if it never happened. I've already been in contact with my state officials, and though we the customers will likely never get anything out of it, companies like Comcast need to face the consequences of their actions when these sort of incidents occur.

The most absurd thing is how Comcast thinks they can add a $100 credit to our accounts, without actually having to pay the customer $100 in, you know.. "actual money"?

Please do not believe for even a second that Comcast is being "generous". They do not care about any single customer, they're just trying to sweep this under the rug. Call your state representatives to report this incident, it makes a difference and is the right thing to do.
Highlighted
New Poster

Yes, I did receive a refund - and asked if I would be covered for the 8+ years I've been living at this residence. I have proof that they have billed me for it all this time, as well as proof I've paid it all these years. Their reply (after being online with them for TWO HOURS) was this all they were going to do. I'm going to look into other avenues as I feel they owe me the money for all this time my number has been published by them! I get all kinds of weird calls from being "non pub" ha ha, being non pub is NOT being non pub with Comcast!!

Highlighted
New Poster

I received a letter from Xfinity today, February 29, 2020. The letter is dated February 20, 2020, NOT in January as above-posted. I am a very unhappy camper. Now, after all these years, I know why my number has been available to everyone! And to solve the problem? Change my number because of your mistake???

Highlighted
New Poster

Would LOVE to know what you discover, please!! 😤

Highlighted
New Poster

It doesn't matter where you look - your complete name and address are now right there for everyone to see! So much for privacy!! Shows you not everyone can be trusted with PRIVATE information!

Highlighted
New Poster

They ALL have your complete name, complete address as well as your non-pub phone number! Nothing is safe any more. Many thanks to Comcast. Wonder how much the person who leaked all the info was paid???

Highlighted
New Poster

Comcast did this exact same thing ten years ago and it cost them a $33 Million dollar settlement.   One would think they had learned from their past mistakes, but apparently not.

Highlighted
Contributor

THIS IS NOT A DATA BREACH!  NOT the "oops, our bad, sorry about your luck" and by the way sorry about your inconvenience . Comcast (Xfinity) sold/traded phone numbers, they made a (HUGE) profit.

Highlighted
Contributor

...and Xfinity will charge you to change your number win/win for them. Edited---They say they won't charge for number change ha.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

new credit on my account today- DI credit. searching around. only thing i found was they were discontinuing the nonpublished service. Anyone else get this same credit today? 

Thought i couldnt get angrier but now i'm really angry- so they leak our info and now they are going to make money from it?

Highlighted
New Poster

I am having the same issue, not only is my phone number published but my home address is as well. I am seriously going to file an FCC complaint.