Community Forum

New forced upgrade modem is not working properly.

New Poster

New forced upgrade modem is not working properly.

Comcast installed a modem for phone and internet in my basement. The tech told me it had to be there because that's where the phone lines were and they didn't mess with phone lines, only hooked up to them. Well, wireless signals did not get thru walls of basement so another tech came out and he ran a wired internet connection upstairs to my netgear wireless router. That has worked for years. Then comcast shut off my internet to force me to upgrade my modem. Now I have a wireless gateway modem and nothing but issues. Either my phone doesn't work, (they can hear me, I cannot hear them) and my internet works, or my internet is off when the phone works. I did have a tech come initially and set up the modem, and there were issues with the internet connection several times. It would work, then it wouldn't, then it would...etc.  When he finally got internet going he left, but I realized later that the phone didn't work. I've spent close to 7 hours on the phone with comcast trying to work this out. Seems the techs are separate, the internet tech doesn't deal with phone and the phone tech doesn't deal with internet. But my modem is for both. I was told the problem was probably "at my end" and I would  have to pay for a tech to come out. What does that mean?? At my end?? This started when the upgraded modem was installed.

Honestly, I would love to get this resolved before comcast drains my bank account. Any ideas or suggestions would be very much appreciated!! Thanks!

Expert

Re: New forced upgrade modem is not working properly.

They need to put your new device into bridge mode. That will disable the built-in Wi-Fi. Once that's done, you'll be able to use your router upstairs like you previously did. 

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks, but it is in bridge mode. When they reset for phone, it takes it out, then my internet shuts down. For some reason, this modem won't do both at the same time.

Expert

@ 750shadow2. You may want to edit out your modem's MAC address from public view.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Thanks....as you can see, I'm not tech savoy. Thanks for the heads up!

Official Employee

Hello @750shadow2. We apologize you are experiencing repeat issues with your internet. I can assist in getting your issue resolved. Please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can access your account.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.